Van driver cleared of driving without due care and attention after collision with cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Say you were the PROSECUTOR in this case and you wanted to highlight that the driver had voluntarily impaired his driving to the same degree as an inebriated driver. Would you say:

During the routine journey he sent and received several text messages. Some had been using the hands free set, and others using his hands and eyes.”
?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont all I read in the papers. But if this account is to believed there are witnesses from both directions who state both the van and cyclists were close to the kerb. The van should have been giving them space.

Why doesnt it say that the van driver wasn't wearing a helmet?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...imals_after_leaving_sheep_to_die_in_heatwave/

When the RSPCA arrived at Ridgeway Farm, near Purton, on August 5 last year, two of the flock were already dead and nearby railway workers said they had taken it upon themselves give water to some of the weaker lambs out of plastic bottles.

Two ewes and a lamb had to be euthanised immediately due to the severity of blowfly strike, as flies festered in open wounds.

Leigh Ballard, 21, admitted four charges at Swindon Magistrates Court, including causing unnecessary suffering and failing to ensure the welfare of his animals.

Ballard said he had left for Devon on August 1 in his capacity as a van driver and left his brother, Dennis, to care for the flock.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
basically driving straight into the back of cyclists in broad daylight is the standard expected of a competent driver, gawd help us.
Yep.

Rear facing camera for me so tlh can have the comfort of knowing I was murdered-by-a-twunt and didn't commit suicide-by-swerve, and the prosecution get some "eye-witness" evidence.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Assuming that the reporting in the paper is accurate, I would hope that the decision could be appealed on the grounds of utter perversity.
What is the mechanism for this? Would it be down to the injured couple, or could it be appealed by a third party, e.g. CTC?

Lonestar

Veteran
I dont all I read in the papers. But if this account is to believed there are witnesses from both directions who state both the van and cyclists were close to the kerb. The van should have been giving them space.

Why doesnt it say that the van driver wasn't wearing a helmet?

He was in his suit of armour so it didn't matter.

Top Bottom