Veho MUVI video review...that tiny tiny camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
ebuyer have the Foehn & Hirsch model for £19.99

It looks like the cheap clones rather than the Muvi. Any one have any experience of this model ? £7 is probably worth the extra for speed of delivery and reputable seller.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
mr_cellophane said:

It looks like the cheap clones rather than the Muvi. Any one have any experience of this model ? £7 is probably worth the extra for speed of delivery and reputable seller.

That model doesn't have all the features of the Muvi or muvi clones. It has a 62, not 72 degree lens...it also doesn't have VOX mode (which is useful for longer rides)

On the up side.... I think it can take photos....which actually I wish my MUVI would do, just because I don't have a digital camera and it may be nice to use it on rides to take some photos (rather than at the moment where I film a few seconds and take a low quality screenshot)

thomas said:
That model doesn't have all the features of the Muvi or muvi clones. It has a 62, not 72 degree lens...it also doesn't have VOX mode (which is useful for longer rides)

Thomas, I think it does have VOX. One of the reviews mentions it (voice activation) and there is a mode button which probably activates it.

redjedi

Über Member
thomas said:

On the up side.... I think it can take photos....which actually I wish my MUVI would do, just because I don't have a digital camera and it may be nice to use it on rides to take some photos (rather than at the moment where I film a few seconds and take a low quality screenshot)

Most of the clone ones are 62 degrees as well. I think this one is the same.

A few quid more seems like a good deal for faster delivery and dealing with a UK based retailer in case anything goes wrong.

I'm tempted myself. Although the ebay ones come with more accessories like a silicon cover, which I would quite like (not too bothered by helmets mounts, I would just clip it to my rucksack strap)

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
magnatom said:
Thomas, I think it does have VOX. One of the reviews mentions it (voice activation) and there is a mode button which probably activates it.

Ah, maybe...I just used the cool zoomy function, rather than reading ;). Certainly, without the VOX mode (unless it doesn't do that 30min thing) it wouldn't be very useful for most commutes/rides.

redjedi said:
Most of the clone ones are 62 degrees as well. I think this one is the same.

A few quid more seems like a good deal for faster delivery and dealing with a UK based retailer in case anything goes wrong.

I'm tempted myself. Although the ebay ones come with more accessories like a silicon cover, which I would quite like (not too bothered by helmets mounts, I would just clip it to my rucksack strap)

With the silicon cover, you can't use any of the supplied mounts! So you couldn't use the supplied bull dog clips, etc, to attach it...just encase that was your plan.

I'm pleased with my MUVI, which cost a bit more than the clones.

Armegatron

thomas said:
Ah, maybe...I just used the cool zoomy function, rather than reading ;). Certainly, without the VOX mode (unless it doesn't do that 30min thing) it wouldn't be very useful for most commutes/rides.

Thomas, I find that when I use VOX on my Muvi it seems to time out. For example, if it doesnt hear anything for 2mins it goes off, but then when something happens that should turn it back on it doesnt come back. Does yours do this?

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
mike.pembo said:
Thomas, I find that when I use VOX on my Muvi it seems to time out. For example, if it doesnt hear anything for 2mins it goes off, but then when something happens that should turn it back on it doesnt come back. Does yours do this?

It'll turn off after a couple of minutes after not hearing 75 decibes (or something like that) for the period of time....so if you had it as a security camera in your house. If out on a ride or something then it should last 30 mins, then start again creating a new file. If it's not there may be something wrong with the camera.

Armegatron

thomas said:
It'll turn off after a couple of minutes after not hearing 75 decibes (or something like that) for the period of time....so if you had it as a security camera in your house. If out on a ride or something then it should last 30 mins, then start again creating a new file. If it's not there may be something wrong with the camera.

I got it from Tesco, so Ill have a test again tonight - if its dodgy hopefully Tesco will let me return it as Ive had it just under a month.

Armegatron

Hmm, just put in on VOX, then put it in my drawer, went to a meeting, opened drawer and the camera wasnt recording. Gave it a few taps and blows that should activate it but nothing :tongue:
It only re-activates if I click the button on the top, or if I turn the VOX off and on again.

Guess Ill be popping along to Tesco ;)

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
mike.pembo said:
Hmm, just put in on VOX, then put it in my drawer, went to a meeting, opened drawer and the camera wasnt recording. Gave it a few taps and blows that should activate it but nothing ;)
It only re-activates if I click the button on the top, or if I turn the VOX off and on again.

Guess Ill be popping along to Tesco :biggrin:

hmmm. For me:

Turn power on, light at top is blue, turn VOX on and it'll go green, flashes when recording. if i push vox mode off, it'll go blue again and save any file, if it was recording

redjedi

Über Member
mr_cellophane said:

I've just ordered one of these. Worth the extra cost over ordering from China knowing it's from a good retailer if anything goes wrong with it.

Couldn't justify spending £50-60 on the Muvi, but for £20 you can't go wrong.

Also found a good deal on a 4gb class 6 memory card HERE for only £8. Hopefully it's the right one.

I'll report back with my findings and a video for you all to critique :ohmy:

Armegatron

redjedi said:
I'll report back with my findings and a video for you all to critique :bravo:
Yes please, I have a a Muvi for the helmet and fancy fitting a cheaper camera to the back pannier or something to get some rear footage - so Im interested in how you find the cheaper ones.

Norm

Clipped it on properly. :becool:

I clip it to my chest strap, where I can't see it without looking. It gets knocked off vertical without my noticing. I have a load of 45 degree video. :laugh:

Top Bottom