Veho MUVI video review...that tiny tiny camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
okay, well I think I am going to go for this....I haven't bought a toy in a while and the videos I have seen do look like an improvement on the ATC (shame about waterproofing only really).

My month in vietnam/thailand has obviously rubbed off...I've emailed firebox with the other shop prices trying to get them to give me a discount if I go through them ;)

It is a shame ebuyer don't do the extreme sports pack otherwise I would probably have bought it now as it would come tomorrow...then I can use it at critical mass on friday to try it out.

Ok, I've got one from ebuyer. Something wrong with it, from what I've seen there are some similar ones with problems out there.

Tried with the standard 2gb card and a Kingston class 4 8gb(from Amazon) and its wobbley (from the cmos sensor) the frame freezes every other second or so (you get car's that jump in to shot from no where!) sound can be out of sync, battery life is 1hr 20min not 3 hours. There is no way that is 30fps more like 10fps.

I have a duff one!

It will only record in 30 min segments.....this is what it says it will do but I didn't read that anywhere before....that might bother people.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
semislickstick said:
Ok, I've got one from ebuyer. Something wrong with it, from what I've seen there are some similar ones with problems out there.

Tried with the standard 2gb card and a Kingston class 4 8gb(from Amazon) and its wobbley (from the cmos sensor) the frame freezes every other second or so (you get car's that jump in to shot from no where!) sound can be out of sync, battery life is 1hr 20min not 3 hours. There is no way that is 30fps more like 10fps.

I have a duff one!

It will only record in 30 min segments.....this is what it says it will do but I didn't read that anywhere before....that might bother people.

WHAT!! I just ordered one last night. If it's crap I'm complaining. I'm guessing your one is just dodgey (you phoned up for as replacement)...all the footage I've watched looks reasonable.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
GUESS WHAT CAME IN THE POST TODAY!!!!!!!!!! IT'S TIINNNYYYY....

wasn't meant to come till next friday :ohmy:....now i've got to wait for the sports pack.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
thomas said:
GUESS WHAT CAME IN THE POST TODAY!!!!!!!!!! IT'S TIINNNYYYY....

wasn't meant to come till next friday :ohmy:....now i've got to wait for the sports pack.

grrr!!! It possibly has the same fault. I'm going to charge it fully and try it again, otherwise it'll need exchanging - not looking good so far :biggrin:

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Okay, so my initial thoughts.

I believe the SD card they supply is just lousy. The problem seems to be caused by the card not being able to write data fast enough and therefore the footage being a bit jumpy. I will confirm this when a class 6 sd card I've just ordered arrived. Basically, class 6 means it can write data really fast and from what I can tell it is the highest.

Now, assuming it is the card at fault it is a little annoying that they tried to save money by supplying a crap SD card - I'd rather they didn't supply one and just charged a few quid less.

From the footage I have recorded, the camera does seem to work well in low light situations. I left it outside last night and it worked a lot better than my atc would have done.

The VOX mode is quite nice depending on what you're going to use it for. Basically, it records when it hears over 65db, and will stop once it hasn't heard 65db for 2 minutes.

The camera is tiny, much smaller than I expected. You should of seen my face when I picked the box up, I couldn't believe how small the packaging was...and even less when I got the camera out. If you get your credit card, it is the height of it (the smaller dimension!)....so it is tiny.

Like semislickstick says, it does record in 30 min segments. Unfortunately, it doesn't start recording again and just split footage. This would mean you'd have to stop every 30 minutes to push the record button again - a bit of a let down depending what you're using it for. However, I recon you could stick voice mode on to fix stop this. I'll try it out with my new sd card, but my idea would be that it would stop after 30 minutes, hear noise and start up again.

The video quality is quite good to be honest. It can add a lot of ripples depending on where you use it. I attached it to the rear of my helmet and it worked fine, just with I put it on the handlebars/my back back it seemed to make every fence post look like a magician had been doing something :blush:

I'll upload a load of demo footage and will probably do a proper review video when I get the new SD card and my extreme sports pack arrives.

If the camera came with a decent SD card (assuming that is the problem), I would be over the moon with it!

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Here is some demo footage (with faulty SD card).

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZygZ2A2wfbk

It looks a bit better uncompressed, but should give you a good idea of what it is like ;)

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
mr_hippo said:
That guy there was me and I have changed the card.

whoopps...:smile:...just noticed your location and should of put one and one together :blush: - I thought it was thailand from the writing and people.

D4VOW

So whats the verdict on these now you've had time with it? I'm interested purely due to its size :smile: Also is a class 4 card fast enough because I have plenty of them lay around the place.

porteous

Veteran
Just got mine this afternoon - wondered at first if it was meant to be worn internally it's so small. It works really well but I'm not quite sure how to mount it on the crash helmet - Grateful for anyones thoughts.

Top Bottom