Veho MUVI video review...that tiny tiny camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Come on I'm waiting on more reviews and pics... ie how you mount it etc - does it pick up numberplates well enough? How does it cope with light/shadows .... my fingers are getting twitchy near my credit card:biggrin:

D4VOW said:
So whats the verdict on these now you've had time with it? I'm interested purely due to its size :smile: Also is a class 4 card fast enough because I have plenty of them lay around the place.

I tried it with a class 4 and there was a lot less jumping, but class 6 seems pretty smooth.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
  • Wait till I get internet in my house and I will upload some videos :smile:
I used it at 1 oclock in the morning the other day (couldn't sleep ;))...and it actually works suprisingly well. The area was lit with street lights and you could still make everything out.

I was pretty suprised by its low light potential tbh. Also, when I get the internet I will right a full review of the camera :bravo:

semislickstick has sent me a link for a waterproof casing for the camera...it'll be £40 ( i think) which seems a little steep but would make the camera a lot more useful.

My two main complaints are:

• Battery life is about half what they claim (around 1 and a half hours of filming - two hours...not three).
  • The supplied SD card is rubbish and should just be thrown in the bin.
However, I am really, really pleased with ti...and it is TINY!! :wacko: (as you should expect from the world's smallest camcorder)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not being very knowledgeable on these sort of things... is the video on-line compressed - as I was unable to make out number plates in one of the video's and I would like to be able to do that - or am I hoping for too much?.

Weegie

I too would like to get one of these little babies following this incident, but don't really want to helmet-mount it. Is there an easy way to mount this camera to the handlebars?

I got an MD80 a few months back, found basically what everyone else said about the cam [get about 1 hour 20 from battery when recording].

Found it quite difficult to mount properly to Giro helmet, so done a bit of an 'Heath Robinson' with epoxy putty & electricians tape.

Weegie - the supplied mounts don't have a handlebar fixer, but if you are of a creative
nature I am sure something could be rigged [gaffa tape, ty-wraps etc]. Might even get it to fit inside an old lamp housing.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
summerdays said:
Not being very knowledgeable on these sort of things... is the video on-line compressed - as I was unable to make out number plates in one of the video's and I would like to be able to do that - or am I hoping for too much?.

Depends on the distance away...but the online videos will all be compressed (to some degree).

You can certainly get numberplates from about 5 meters away (might be hard to read), the closer you get the easier it is.

Weegie said:
I too would like to get one of these little babies following this incident, but don't really want to helmet-mount it. Is there an easy way to mount this camera to the handlebars?

I believe the helmet mount in the extreme sports pack doubles as a handlebar mount. I haven't tried it, but it certainly looks quite easy to do.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm still waiting for your next video with the new card ... I am so tempted by this one... (though this morning would have caught me swearing and shouting at a dozy motorist trying to change lanes into the side of me).

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
summerdays said:
I'm still waiting for your next video with the new card ... I am so tempted by this one... (though this morning would have caught me swearing and shouting at a dozy motorist trying to change lanes into the side of me).

Sorry for the delays...just got the internet back yesterday.

I started uploading it last night, but it really slowed my connection down when I had other things to do.

I've started it uploading again and will go for a bike ride xx(

I got some really good night time footage yesterday (there is some on the video I am uploading). Nighttime footage is surprisingly good. I didn't expect to see anything at night, but where there are street lights and the such, the picture is pretty good....so the camera will still be useful for commuting in the winter nights.

I should be able to post a URL in the next 3 hours (told you it was a big file :rolleyes:)

OK. I am officially quite impressed with the video quality from this little beastie! :rofl:

The video looks a bit jerkier than my current set up, but the picture quality itself looks very good. Pausing the video on a few occasions you can clearly see registrations of the cars passing.

Night time is also very impressive. I think this is where my set up is noticibly better, but considering the price of the MUVI it is very good.

If I had the money, this would be a great rear view camera. If I had the money....:evil:

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
magnatom said:
OK. I am officially quite impressed with the video quality from this little beastie! :smile:

The video looks a bit jerkier than my current set up, but the picture quality itself looks very good. Pausing the video on a few occasions you can clearly see registrations of the cars passing.

Night time is also very impressive. I think this is where my set up is noticibly better, but considering the price of the MUVI it is very good.

If I had the money, this would be a great rear view camera. If I had the money....:sad:

You can get some motion blur from the camera, for instance if you pause it when looking sideways signs can be wobbly. If you had it on the side of your bike this quite noticeable, however having side, front and rear cameras would be excessive ;).

For a £50 camera, or an £80 kit with the sports pack and new SD card, it is a fantastic action camera for the money.

There is a waterproof case to be launched in October. I think the price was £40, which is quite a lot really. I would buy that, if it was nearer £20 or so.

summerdays said:
I am definitely tempted... pity they forgot to pay me last month.... (roll on next pay day).

;) I'd say go for it. With my ATC2000 it took me over a year before I decided to fork out for it. It is definitely a very nifty gadget!

Top Bottom