Wales : South Glamorgan Velothon Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
Does anybody else get e-mails from Velothon Wales saying to apply for places even though I have registered and paid?

One e-mail said that 9000 places had been filled! As a solo rider how am I going to cope with riding with thousands of other cyclists?

NorvernRob

Signed up and paid today, managed to book a cheap Ibis hotel for the Sat+Sun night for £71 all in too.

Does anybody else get e-mails from Velothon Wales saying to apply for places even though I have registered and paid?

One e-mail said that 9000 places had been filled! As a solo rider how am I going to cope with riding with thousands of other cyclists?

You'll be fine, I rode a couple of busy Sportives including a mass start this year after never riding in a group before. Just look at some youtube videos to get a few pointers of what not to do.

It's over 11,000 riders now btw!

MichaelO

Veteran
I had an email (I think) not too long ago saying that there were still places available. I was slightly surprised they hadn't been snapped up already..

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hi,
Is it too late to enter the Velothon Wales, web site is still up and I can still register
Give it a go.

A week or so ago they made an annoucement on facebook saying "HURRY, we are down to the very last few places". Or something like that Which probably means they have tons left and are desperate to get them filled.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They just announced on facebook that they have now sold out of general entries, but there are still charity places.

12,000. That's a lot of bikes. Fortunately I have a mate who lives in central Cardiff (who I'm riding with) so I'll take my #2 bike to his place some time beforehand, to avoid logistical nightmares. I can either stay with him, if he has room, or stay at a hotel in a neighbouring town and get the train or bus in early in the morning, then leave the bike with him and hop on the train afterwards.

I've never done anything even vaguely like this before, so it will be interesting, if nothing else.

NorvernRob

There were still vacancies at Ibis Cardiff Gate a couple of days ago. It's cheap, around £40 per night, and 4 or 5km from the City Centre so a pleasant warm up ride there and easy parking etc. No idea if it's bike friendly, I'll ring them before the day, but there's no way we'll be leaving £9k worth of bikes in the car! I would assume pretty much every hotel in the city is going to be full of bikes that weekend.

longy65

There were still vacancies at Ibis Cardiff Gate a couple of days ago. It's cheap, around £40 per night, and 4 or 5km from the City Centre so a pleasant warm up ride there and easy parking etc. No idea if it's bike friendly, I'll ring them before the day, but there's no way we'll be leaving £9k worth of bikes in the car! I would assume pretty much every hotel in the city is going to be full of bikes that weekend.
Cardiff Gate is a bit out from the City Centre and not easy to ride in from, if I was you I would look for a better location.
We have a decent train system, so you might like to think about one of the rural hotels in the Vale of Glamorgan and catch the train in on the day or ride in :smile:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Just remembered I have a mate who lives about 15 miles from Cardiff, so I'll stay there and either try and get a big taxi, get him to drop me off, or drive in - I presume there will be car parks set up as per the RideLondon events.

Top Bottom