Vuelta a Espana 2023 (spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DogmaStu

Interesting that Sky/Ineos have gone from being the dominant Grand Tour team to one scrapping for stage wins and maybe a podium at best. Do we think this is them getting worse or the other teams getting better...or a bit of both?

Ineos had Froome’s tenure cut short by his accident and went on to build around Bernal as his successor with G in the mix too.

Bernal also suffering a severe accident meant they were left with an aging GC man in G and Hart …who had to abandon the Giro due to injury.

While Ineos suffered all this bad luck, Jumbo went all out big spending and built a new powerhouse team and then there is Pog…

I would hesitate to say Ineos have worsened, more that they have had a run of bad luck while others have caught up.

Reactions: mjr

Milzy

Guru
What sprinter would you take though? Going to be tough for them to go the distance.

DogmaStu

What sprinter would you take though? Going to be tough for them to go the distance.

Vuelta's are tough on pure sprinters. Groves and Coquard are likely favourites but typically GC riders do well for the Points jersey. Milano could do well.

I was surprised to see the Dutch sprinter Dries van Gestel in the race this year; he and I have ridden together and I took one of his KOM's two years ago! I'll be hoping he has a good Tour but he is an outsider to win a stage for TotalEnergies.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Horrific conditions! Unpleasant to even watch! Please for DSM and amused by Remco.

Milzy

Guru
If they don’t have street lights then why not start 2 hours earlier. What a shambles. Always talk of safety but over the last few years things are getting worse. Hope they don’t get blocked on the big climbs again.

Top Bottom