We really are fighting a losing battle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not wishing to put words in anyone's mouth, but these aren't new riders IME. It's people who dust the bike down, pump the tyres up and turn up in their lycra finest expecting to be dragged round in the middle of a group so they can tell everyone they rode 50 miles on Sunday. I don't have a problem with that as such, but I'm not going to get my Sunday morning ruined by it so I avoid the whole mess. This summer I'm trying to organise some off road group rides so I can stay involved without risking my own life trying to keep everyone in a group in check.

So you are the one ripping up the countryside and getting all of us cyclist a bad name.^_^ In truth I could turn up at one of your clubs Sunday rides and you would not know me from Adam.

outlash

also available in orange
In truth I could turn up at one of your clubs Sunday rides and you would not know me from Adam.

No, and nor would I care if you rode properly :smile:.

Why do we still have people posting things such as this:

"On the subject of road safety, I see now that the weather is improving we are once again subject to 1000’s of fat middle aged Bradley Wiggin’s wannabees in their silly plastic suits causing wholesale congestion on our roads. They are an absolute shower and should be made to have a form of ID on their little bikes so that they can be identified and prosecuted as required."

On local political blogs such as this: http://onlinefocus.org/?p=19334#comment-235218

Attitudes like this seem to be increasing and I worry it translates into how we get treated on the road.

I should just let it go but this type of thing really winds me up so I had to reply (all replies are moderated in advance and mine is awaiting moderation)

Just wanted to vent a bit sorry
You know what, I'll never profess to being an expert on anything but here's my ha'penny's worth. I guess you could put me in the large middle age category but I love taking the bike out and no one will ever take it away from me. In my limited experience of cycling I've seen enough and been on the receiving end of countless a******e drivers rants that I now only ever use cycle paths or when choosing a route I'll only use it if I know it a nice quiet road. I even go out in the car to recce new routes at different times off the day to gauge the weight of traffic and stay safe. This, imho, is necessary to enable me to keep fit and keep the extra pounds at bay, just like the do gooders keep telling us to do but it's the polar opposite of what I perceive about having the freedom to jump on the bike and take off for the day with no real plan. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and I should buy a skateboard and hang out at the local bowl with the stoners.

screenman

Legendary Member
No, and nor would I care if you rode properly :smile:.

Now here we have the problem, you do not want to ride with cyclist who cannot ride as you say properly, well if everybody with years of experience of group riding like you felt the same where would the new guys learn.

One of the things I enjoyed when club riding a lot was helping new guys learn the ropes, massive satisfaction in seeing them come back each wee for more.

There are more cars when it rains as fewer walk. This is a bigger problem as it creates greater congestion and pollution.

mythste

Veteran
I think the guy on the site probably didn't get the shiny bike he saw in mummy's catalogue when he was a wee boy and now doesn't want anyone else to have one now that he is a bitter, short sighted moronic adult.

Or more likely just doesn't understand that for every one silly cyclist there are 100 or more perfectly competent ones! I'm a big believer in that being nice in these situations will do us so much better than a (sometimes totally justified) "fire with fire" approach. We're mostly such a kind, outgoing and fun community and we really need to tackle these views with a much more measured appraoch than I think is our natural, defensive, instinct to do.

Not wishing to put words in anyone's mouth, but these aren't new riders IME. It's people who dust the bike down, pump the tyres up and turn up in their lycra finest expecting to be dragged round in the middle of a group so they can tell everyone they rode 50 miles on Sunday. I don't have a problem with that as such, but I'm not going to get my Sunday morning ruined by it so I avoid the whole mess. This summer I'm trying to organise some off road group rides so I can stay involved without risking my own life trying to keep everyone in a group in check.
Very true.

I take it you cycled out of the womb?
It has been said.

Now here we have the problem, you do not want to ride with cyclist who cannot ride as you say properly, well if everybody with years of experience of group riding like you felt the same where would the new guys learn.

One of the things I enjoyed when club riding a lot was helping new guys learn the ropes, massive satisfaction in seeing them come back each wee for more.
Again, newbies who come along, and wish to listen / learn / improve are great.

outlash

also available in orange

Well, as I posted up further up the thread, they're not new riders. They're quite happy to spend the colder months on the turbo, then when the sun comes out, they're out on the club runs, sitting in the middle of the group not taking a turn until they go bombing off when their targetted Strava segment is coming up. That's just one of my personal faves.
I've done more than my fair share of teaching the etiquette of group riding and will continue to do so happily. As after all, we've all been there. But when you see the same faces causing chaos between May-September year in, year out and you can't tell them otherwise then I'm not getting involved.

outlash

also available in orange
Can you not just ignore them and let them do their thing while you do yours?

I don't get involved with the wannabe racers anyway (and there's a few in the club) I tend to stick with the shorter slower group (mostly beginners), hence trying to do the off road runs during the summer. If that doesn't come to fruition then I'll ride on my own or with mates outside of the club. It's all good :smile:.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Why do we still have people posting things such as this:

"On the subject of road safety, I see now that the weather is improving we are once again subject to 1000’s of fat middle aged Bradley Wiggin’s wannabees in their silly plastic suits causing wholesale congestion on our roads. They are an absolute shower and should be made to have a form of ID on their little bikes so that they can be identified and prosecuted as required."

On local political blogs such as this: http://onlinefocus.org/?p=19334#comment-235218

Attitudes like this seem to be increasing and I worry it translates into how we get treated on the road.

I should just let it go but this type of thing really winds me up so I had to reply (all replies are moderated in advance and mine is awaiting moderation)

Just wanted to vent a bit sorry

I disagree with you, he is one but very sad individual, but I'd suggest if you're concerned, do what I did, write to theteam@onlinefocus.org and ask them to ban 'The Mighty Oz' and remove his comments.

There are many of us 'Bradley Wiggins wannabees in shiny plastic suits', and many more joining us each year! Haha!

Top Bottom