We really are fighting a losing battle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
They have got a ( limited ) point. All the 'fair weather princesses' are starting to appear, and they do tend to ride like idiots, which gives everyone on a bike a bad name.

Nice. So it's ok to be a cyclist, but not ok unless you cycle all weathers. Presumably it's really bad to start cycling too, in case you might 'ride like an idiot' So not just drivers who hate cyclists eh. Love this forum sometimes.

mythste

Veteran
Nice. So it's ok to be a cyclist, but not ok unless you cycle all weathers. Presumably it's really bad to start cycling too, in case you might 'ride like an idiot' So not just drivers who hate cyclists eh. Love this forum sometimes.

I fear you have missed the point.

Riding like an idiot is never okay. Winter miles or otherwise.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I tend to ride more with the club in summer than winter. That is not because I don't ride in winter, but because I don't like standing around getting cold and I don't drink coffee. I actually ride more in winter than summer, which a lot of people in the club don't know or probably care. As long as at the start of summer there are some keen faces and some good banter then I am happy.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I fear you have missed the point.

Riding like an idiot is never okay. Winter miles or otherwise.

I agree, but was replying to what I perceive to be a prejudice against riders who do not conform to what certain forum members feel riders should be, and the judgement pronounced on people who do not necessarily ride year round.

What would be the point or rationale in the disparaging reference to 'fair weather princesses'. Who declared that not riding in the rain/ wind/ cold makes one less worthy? Is this an attitude we feel it is good to promote? Should we hate on all cyclists who don't go out in the wind and rain? Should they perhaps be banned from the roads, or at least the forum, for not being macho or 'utility' enough?

martint235

Dog on a bike
They have got a ( limited ) point. All the 'fair weather princesses' are starting to appear, and they do tend to ride like idiots, which gives everyone on a bike a bad name.
I've liked an RR post. I feel the need for a shower with some wire wool.

However I'm with him on this. There are some complete numpties on bikes. These attitudes, although entirely wrong, are merely re-inforced by the RLJers etc who ride bikes like complete daffodils.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Going back to the OP, what battle am I supposed to be fighting? I haven't declared war on anybody since Paul Robey in the infants. Just because an opinion there to read on the interbob doesn't make it relevant, fair, insightful or even sane. The Internet is a refuse heap of opinions.

Just my opinion like ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
Red light jumper
Knit your own.....:smile:
1376726116-22061-20.jpg

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 4264554, member: 45"]There's another aspect to this, and that's the fact that some people will live out parts of their character on social media they wouldn't dream of displaying in real life.

I have one particular friend who I've had great times with on holiday and doing family stuff. On social media he's a complete idiot, so much so that I refuse to have him as a friend on FB. He's a completely different, intolerant and bigoted and personality on there. If I only knew him on there I'd have nothing to do with him.[/QUOTE]

That reads a bit "Fight Club" if you get my drift.:okay:

Don't get your panties in a bunch poppet. I'm not talking about new riders, who haven't quite 'got it' yet. I'm talking about the same old 'repeat offenders' who turn up at this time of year, and ride like idiots. I love people who try to start Strawman arguments on forums.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The Mighty Oz
Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 03:05

Dear Wiggins Wannabees, not sure if you are all allowed, or old enough, to drive a car but just to let you know, I have to have compulsory 3rd party insurance, I have to take a two part test to prove my competence on the road and then have to submit my car for a yearly check to prove that it’s roadworthy. I believe the only criteria for a cyclist is to be able to fit into a garishly coloured silly plastic suit and then ride like an idiot oblivious to the other road users.

Going off the name, does this knobhead come from Australia i wonder? Cyclists are treat like shite in "OZ". If he is from there, he wants to feck off back, or learn some manners!:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why do we still have people posting things such as this:

"On the subject of road safety, I see now that the weather is improving we are once again subject to 1000’s of fat middle aged Bradley Wiggin’s wannabees in their silly plastic suits causing wholesale congestion on our roads. They are an absolute shower and should be made to have a form of ID on their little bikes so that they can be identified and prosecuted as required."

On local political blogs such as this: http://onlinefocus.org/?p=19334#comment-235218

Attitudes like this seem to be increasing and I worry it translates into how we get treated on the road.

Stop worrying about idiots like that. The world is full of ill-educated and ill-considered comment now thanks to the limitless opportunities for verbal and emotional incontinence afforded by social media. Before Twatter and blogs etc. idiots would have had to write to a newspaper and somebody with a brain would have edited their verbal dysentery.

Last edited:

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Don't get your panties in a bunch poppet. I'm not talking about new riders, who haven't quite 'got it' yet. I'm talking about the same old 'repeat offenders' who turn up at this time of year, and ride like idiots. I love people who try to start Strawman arguments on forums.
[QUOTE 4264554, member: 45"]There's another aspect to this, and that's the fact that some people will live out parts of their character on social media they wouldn't dream of displaying in real life.

I have one particular friend who I've had great times with on holiday and doing family stuff. On social media he's a complete idiot, so much so that I refuse to have him as a friend on FB. He's a completely different, intolerant and bigoted and personality on there. If I only knew him on there I'd have nothing to do with him.[/QUOTE]

Must be great to be self appointed judge and jury of other cyclists, and chief patroniser on Cyclechat. I think what you're saying, honeybunch, in the highlighted section is that you love to try to wind people up from behind the safety of your computer screen. Just like some drivers from within the safety of their tin box. ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom