We really are fighting a losing battle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4266778, member: 9609"]LOL
I have even been on one at Gatwick airport :okay:
and a flat one at Munich airport - LOL

I had never considered them being a source of strife, @ianrauk & @Dogtrousers posts have eloquently explained the problem though - basically people are just barmy, getting their knickers in a knot about going on a staircase :wacko: you can't make this stuff up.[/QUOTE]
You need to try the moving steel walkway of death at Copenhagen Airport Railway Station. Stupidly steep. Stupidly slick. Almost impossible to stay upright on!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I often drive down to a place in Surrey and on my way I often come across groups of cyclists. When I'm driving they are an extra hazard that I have to worry about and which slows me down. To be honest I'd rather they all stayed at home while I'm driving there.
I'm beginning to think that the problem is Surrey.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
In such circumstances when someone is passing by in a car, there are issues with time constraints; so I find that a retort has to be concise and to the point. "F*** you!" usually does it for me.
And that pretty much sums up my retort, save for my adding a reference to his likely "leisure activity".

duty_calls.png

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There are signs on the escalators on the London Underground saying "please stand on the right". This is so anyone who wants to walk up (or down) the stairs can do so unimpeded, while at the same time anyone who wants to let the escalator take the strain and stand can do so without other people squeezing past. This works fine when the escalator has a light to medium load of people, and it keeps everyone happy. But when there's a huge load of people the most efficient way of moving everyone is to use the escalator's maximum capacity and stand on both sides. To the frustration of those (like me) who like to walk up and down.

The escalators at Holborn mentioned in the trials referenced by @ianrauk are monsters, they are really long. Even dedicated escalator-walkers like me take one look at them and decide to stand.

if they removed those little signs every few yards on the between-escallator bit then you could slide down unimpeded and all the escallators proper could be up only. It'll be easy when I'm on charge. I'd also mandate helter skelters for all buildings of any height for the same reason

if they removed those little signs every few yards on the between-escallator bit then you could slide down unimpeded and all the escallators proper could be up only. It'll be easy when I'm on charge. I'd also mandate helter skelters for all buildings of any height for the same reason
If you want them to remove the blocks, you just need Jackie Chan to come and make a movie.

(I used to use these escalators daily, and fantasise about sliding down there. You couldn't because of the blocks which were mysteriously missing in the movie)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idY49LICaR8

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I often drive down to a place in Surrey and on my way I often come across groups of cyclists. When I'm driving they are an extra hazard that I have to worry about and which slows me down. To be honest I'd rather they all stayed at home while I'm driving there. Just as I find it irritating that people have the temerity to get up as early as me and get on the early train and take all the seats, and then hang around blocking the escalators and walkways in the stations. I'd prefer them all to get the bus, or go somewhere else.
My blood is boiling just reading this, and as for people that stand in shops looking at things that I want to stand and look at, why don't they just do one!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so annoyed I can barely type!!!!!!!!!!!! :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
They are an absolute shower

I've found out who the author was...

absolute shower.png

GC

OP
OP

GC I got that you were saying that Terry Thomas is the Mighty Oz. I just didn't want people thinking that it was me who was calling cyclists an absolute shower:

"123456789 said:
They are an absolute shower"

That looks as though I said it when it wasn't it was the mighty Oz

Not having a pop just trying to avoid any confusion

sheddy

Legendary Member
Do cycle clubs ever suggest riders split into smaller groups (say 5x2 abreast) separated with large gaps so that motorists can overtake
one group at a time ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Do cycle clubs ever suggest riders split into smaller groups (say 5x2 abreast) separated with large gaps so that motorists can overtake
one group at a time ?
The club I sometimes ride with has a limit on 10 in a group, and groups have to keep apart. Its enforced, so it's normally less than 10 (rare that a group of 20 is split into 2)

Top Bottom