Weird gear happening.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Keep a eye on it. Squirt some GT85 in the mechanism of the shifter (possible crap on the ratchet). If it keeps doing it, it's new shifter time.
I will keep an eye, hopefully I shouldn't need a new shifter, I only bought it brand new in March.

It'll need a fair turn of the crank to settle it on the wrong one. Are you at all aware of the crank turning as you push it through gates, lock it up, etc?
Hmmmm I am not sure, I shall check. I have just put it in 2 by lifting the back wheel and turning the pedals. It is now in 2, and stood in the living room. If it has dropped to 1 by morning, I shall take it back to the shop. If it hasn't, I shall put it down to me catching it and take more care.

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Is the shifter clicking down, or is the chain dropping down with the shifter still in 2 ?

Could be that your mech is badly adjusted. In normal use will it shift between all three easily.
The shifter is clicking down and the chain drops on the number 1 ring if that makes sense.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hmmmm I am not sure, I shall check. I have just put it in 2 by lifting the back wheel and turning the pedals. It is now in 2, and stood in the living room. If it has dropped to 1 by morning, I shall take it back to the shop. If it hasn't, I shall put it down to me catching it and take more care.
If it's in 1 when you wake then we have proof that ghosts ride bikes!:bravo:

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

I've come across that problem before. You have trigger shifters (Shimano brand: Rapid Fire) and the mechanism relies on a similar escapement mechanism found in clocks. Your unit is dirty and the grease has become too hard to allow the pawl to move freely and keep the barrel stationary.
It needs cleaning.
You need to remove the cover from the flappy lever system. It is held on with two or three tiny Philips-head screws. Be careful to only remove the little screws that hold the plastic cover on, not anything that holds the mechanism in place.
Once you have the cover off, the mechanism will be exposed. Squirt the hell out of it with one fof the many lubricant/solvent sprays. These are recognisable by cans with long plastic nozzles and fierce-sounding lab code-names like X-25 or GT-40 or WR-82.
Click away at the gears whilst spraying and cleaning. Once the mechanism is clean and moves freely, apply a little bit of light grease to it. Something like Vaseline will also work.
Replace the cover and go for a ride and drink a beer.
If you are uncertain, post a photo of the underside of the flappy gearbox and we'll tell you which screws to remove.

Cables stretch when you ride and shift the gears about, they then shrink back a bit when you leave them stood around. This has the same effect as moving the paddles.

Nonsense. You just made that up. Please explain the delayed mechanism whereby cables stretch and then slowly shrink over time.
Crap cables ( often a way bike manufacturer/ suppliers sneak the price into the magic Ride to work) have a Young's modulus, that is not ideal in a system that relys on cable positioning tension to be maintained in a tight operating window ( indexed gearing for example ). Ergo, cheap stretchy cables ( to use terms you may better understand) are not ideal for a bicycles gearing.

Top Bottom