Weird gear happening.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Your appeal to authority is quite astonishing, as is your silly application of vaguely engineering-sounding terminology.
Bitch-slapping ain't any good either. You will have to explain yourself.
Particularly:
  • How the Young's modulus would affect a cable slowly losing tension.
  • How repeated stress/strain cycles would lead to the phenomena described.
  • How a cable not "compressing back uniformly" could create the phenomena.
  • How you could compress a bicycle cable not restrained in a sleeve, as on a FD.
  • How come you are so clever but cannot express the phenomena you believe in, in plain English.

You could of course just admit that it was all bullshit and you were just shitting us, but I doubt you will do that.
Don't forget, he's met the Queen too. That's got to count for something.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Could you explain how a cable on a front derailleur that 'shrinks' could move the derailleur from chainring 2 to 1, when to do so require less cable tension rather than more?

Well I could do, but it would be a waste of time, because you'd read the bit you wanted to, and ignore the important bit, then quote the wrong bit out of context, just to try and appear like a smart arse ( based on my experience thus far).

I am not trying to appear like a smart arse, but now I do wonder if you are trying to appear like a troll or an idiot, or even an idiot troll. My question was an entirely logical one based on the OPs problem and that question still stands. As it happens I don't buy your logic on cable stretch - but as you can see my question does not question statement that cable stretch can happen, it questions that if it does happen how that could explain the OPs symptoms.

keithmac

Guru
Yup, that's the one. I didn't want to scare the OP with disassembly but it is obviously the best solution in severe cases. Interesting enough, at the Shimano school they teach mechanics to spray the hell out of it until the fluid runs clear.

BTW, I now have your fingerprints on file. I see you have a few traffic fines outstanding.

To be fair blasting it with wd40 or similar to clean the dirt and grease out then applying a light oil is probably the method with least chance of failure.

Agreed stripping it down fully is the best option but some could end up with an unusable shifter at the end of it..

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cables stretch when you ride and shift the gears about, they then shrink back a bit when you leave them stood around. This has the same effect as moving the paddles.

I immediately gave you a 'like' for this, rr, as I thought it was a brilliant way/joke of getting a few people going. Brilliant. However reading on it appears that you meant it. Or perhaps you are still joking in a crab sense of humour sort of way?

Last edited:
Top Bottom