What are you all reading at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Intelligenthamster said:
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Didn't realise it was based on a book when I saw the film last week, I usually try to read the book a film is based on first.

There was a lot of controversy about that book when it was first published. Wasn't it the first fictionalised book about someone's "experiences" in a concentration camp? A lot of critics were saying it was disgusting to cash in on such horror and the writer came in for a lot of flak.

Open Doors by Ian Rankin. Not a Rebus but good all the same.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am now reading Desert by J.M.G. Le Clezio, which I picked up in Paris last week, as I am ashamed to admit that I had not heard of him when it was announced that he had won the Nobel prize.

Batzman

cheadle hulme said:
Is he any good then?

I've just run out of Ian M Banks culture series as my first foray into sci-fi since finishing Asimov's foundation about 10 years ago. How does he compare?

Can thoroughly recommend The Algebraist (by Ian M Banks). Takes a while but stunning when it all starts to come together.

I thoroughly enjoy both authors but they are pretty different, Peter F Hamilton is more like a popcorn Saturday matinee... lots of action, big explosions, that you enjoy but don't take too seriously... whereas Iain M Banks is much deeper, and more thought-provoking. I highly recommend "Use of Weapons"

Melvil

just jim said:
Strangely enough, this heavy chunk of cellulose landed at my door yesterday. I don't know if I can pick it up.

I'm about 100 or so pages into it. Classic Hamilton, if you like Hamilton. I read him because he rolls along pretty nicely and there's usually something interesting, but for my 'ideas' fix I usually plump for Charles Stross, Neal Stephenson et al.

Melvil

Batzman said:
I thoroughly enjoy both authors but they are pretty different, Peter F Hamilton is more like a popcorn Saturday matinee... lots of action, big explosions, that you enjoy but don't take too seriously... whereas Iain M Banks is much deeper, and more thought-provoking. I highly recommend "Use of Weapons"

I'd second Use of Weapons as the best Culture book. Interesting, dark and re-readable.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm going through David Peace's books at the moment. The first one I read was "The Damned United", a superb piece of work based on Brian Clough's ill-fated 44 days in charge of Leeds United. It's a cracking book and totally unlike any other book I've ever read about football. Even non football lovers would like this one.

I recently read his series of books, 1973, 1977, 1980 and 1983 and have just started his "Tokyo Year Zero" about the search for a murderer in the torrid time after the immediate defeat in WWII of the Japanese nation.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
PaulB said:
I'm going through David Peace's books at the moment. The first one I read was "The Damned United", a superb piece of work based on Brian Clough's ill-fated 44 days in charge of Leeds United. It's a cracking book and totally unlike any other book I've ever read about football. Even non football lovers would like this one.

I recently read his series of books, 1973, 1977, 1980 and 1983 and have just started his "Tokyo Year Zero" about the search for a murderer in the torrid time after the immediate defeat in WWII of the Japanese nation.

He is a class act - Tokyo Year Zero is pretty damn good - he lives in Japan now too...

Top Bottom