What are you all reading at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickb

Guru
I've just finished Feersum Endjinn - Iain M. Banks and am about to start Engleby - Sebastian Falkes

This is on the recommendation of my wife who raved about it whilst reading it. Her last recommendation was Cloud Atlas and that was a cracking read, so I have high hopes.

PrettyboyTim

The Great War in the Air by John H. Morrow, Jr.

It's interesting albeit a bit dry.

I've also been reading Physics for Game Programmers by Grant Palmer. Also a book without a huge number of plot twists.

Recently I read Britten and Brülightly by Hannah Berry which was very enjoyable. There's quite a reasonable little comicbook section in my local Library which I make a use of.

Dayvo

just passin' through
User1314 said:
Last night it was one about a Flying Cow.

About a cow who could fly and went round dropping cow pats on people who found flying cows funny.

Tell them this:

Little bird that fly
Did a shoot in farmer's eye
As farmer wiped his eye, he said
Thanks the Lord that cows don't fly. :evil:

Reading 'A Winter Book' so I can offer it to Cathryn.

Rhythm Thief

Veteran
I'm re - reading "Flashman at the Charge" for about the ninety - eighth time, and I'm also half way through "The Death of Marco Pantani" (cheers, whoever sent it to me!), which will be back on the move among us in the next couple of weeks.

Lardyboy

Just finished A Secret Country by John Pilger and I'am about to start Any Old Iron by Anthony Burgess.

Batzman

Just about to start "The Temporal Void" by Peter F Hamilton... (I imagine some sleepless nights, as I won't be able to put it down...)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The Taming of Chance by Ian Hacking. He is surprisingly readable for an academic.

And various other things, but I had to leave them at home.

just jim

Batzman said:
Just about to start "The Temporal Void" by Peter F Hamilton... (I imagine some sleepless nights, as I won't be able to put it down...)

Strangely enough, this heavy chunk of cellulose landed at my door yesterday. I don't know if I can pick it up.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A short history of nearly everything, by Bill Bryson. It is a very good read if you have an interest in scientific matters.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Remember, remember. A fantastic book on how to remember huge lists of things by using your imagination to weave a story. By so doing, it actually becomes harder to forget things like all the Kings and Queens of England, all our Prime Ministers, all the American presidents and the countries of Europe in the correct order and sequence. Excellent stuff if you are a pub quizzer or just like utilising your memory.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Didn't realise it was based on a book when I saw the film last week, I usually try to read the book a film is based on first.

Batzman said:

Is he any good then?

I've just run out of Ian M Banks culture series as my first foray into sci-fi since finishing Asimov's foundation about 10 years ago. How does he compare?

Can thoroughly recommend The Algebraist (by Ian M Banks). Takes a while but stunning when it all starts to come together.

Top Bottom