What book are you reading...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

I read the braille on bleach bottles whilst having a shoot, such a good reader am I, am I, am I.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
I'm in the middle of "the Battle for the North" by, er, some bloke. It's all about the building of the Tay and Forth bridges and the early history of the Scottish railway companies. I know it sounds dull, but it's fascinating reading.

I'm reading Fire and Steam by Christian Wolmar - also fascinating.

The funny thing is that I read about all the scams with bogus railway investment schemes, through which many people lost their shirts in the late 1800s, then I open the paper and see ads for properties in the Gulf, claiming that investors will "double your money" and I realise nothing has changed at all...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
"Obedience, struggle & revolt", A collection of David Hare's lectures. Opened it in the library out of curiosity and got sucked in.

longers

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
Longers, will you quit with the synchronicities tonight?

I'm about 20% into The Third Policeman but get very little chance to read at the mo, I might even start from the beginning again after the summer.

Ah, I meant something different to how far I'd got into the book. You'll have to read some more to find out what though :biggrin:.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Just finished The Alchemist's Apprentice. Not what the title would lead you to expect at all, but very clever. It draws you in.

Now onto de Berniere's Birds Without Wings. Not my first de Berniere. It'll be a long haul, but worth it. He's one of the few writers who can make me cry and laugh at the same time.

Slowgrind

East of Eden.

Keith Oates

Janner
Rhythm Thief said:
I'm in the middle of "the Battle for the North" by, er, some bloke. It's all about the building of the Tay and Forth bridges and the early history of the Scottish railway companies. I know it sounds dull, but it's fascinating reading.
If you're enjoying that RT, try reading about the life and work of Isombard Kingdom Brunell, really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

col

Legendary Member
Its been a long time since i read a book,and that was an autobiography.I just dont seem to be able to get into one,even if it was a topic i have an interest in,also i dont know writers names and cant put them to a particular style or topic so cant go by the writer either,im open to suggestions for fiction,science fiction even.

i'm under orders from my therapist to read at least a page a day.
the only book i've got is graeme obrees flying scotsman. it's good to read it again , but a bloody pain having to wear glasses to do it.:biggrin:

asterix

Comrade Member
The Discovery of France by Graham Robb. The author is a cyclist with an extensive knowledge of France and its history. He has written a fascinating account of how a single nation was created from many very diverse communities, in a very different way from the UK.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Col, and anyone else who's interested:

I can reccommend Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series of books. They're easy to read, sort of "wacky ideas" fiction rather than science fiction.

I'm willing to lend 'em out if anyone wants.

(Mrs Uncle Phil thinks we should get all our books from the library, so we don't have our own library cluttering up the, erm... bookshelves. I can justify buying and keeping my favourite books if people borrow them, though).

You need to read them in order, really, so one borrower at a time, I think. Then there could be a relay to pass them on, rather like the jersey relay...

Top Bottom