What chain lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hadn't thought about watts but otherwise this exactly mirrors why I like to use Squirt.

Apart from the "too much faff" aspect hot waxing would be out of the question in my house. My garage is 500 yards from the house and has no power. Chances of me getting my bike in the kitchen on a wet November evening to remove chain etc. are less than zero.

I feel either hot waxing or liquid wax give a significantly superior result to lubes.

+1 for Squirt.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Reckon 7.5-8 hrs long. Found a mountain forecast website for closer to the time and also some web cams on the mountain huts. Fingers crossed

You are going to ride in 7-8 hours of continuous rain?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
20201015_141459.jpg
I normally use Finish line wet, have done for years.
But I still have a can of this in the shed that gets used occasionally.

Alex321

Veteran
Oh tell me more, what sharpener should I use and how often?

Well there is a simple grindstone, though even that you have the choice of grey, white or CBN wheels :smile:

Then there is the choice of whether you grind them freehand or use a jig.

Then do you use a "wet" system (where the grindstone rotates through a bath of water).

Or in recent years, there is the Pro-Edge system (a belt rather than a rotating stone).

You sharpen whenever the edges are getting a little dull. With woodturning, you can tell by the way the shavings are coming off.

You did ask :whistle:

Jameshow

Veteran
Well there is a simple grindstone, though even that you have the choice of grey, white or CBN wheels :smile:

Then do you use a "wet" system (where the grindstone rotates through a bath of water).

Or in recent years, there is the Pro-Edge system (a belt rather than a rotating stone).

You sharpen whenever the edges are getting a little dull. With woodturning, you can tell by the way the shavings are coming off.

Don't forget the chippies favourite the belt sander!!

Alex321

Veteran
Don't forget the chippies favourite the belt sander!!

I think the pro-edge (or Axminster ultimate edge) is just a more sophisticated version of that :smile:

So far, I have been sharpening all my woodturning chisels & gouges freehand, using a white rotary grindstone (there is a grey one on the other end, but I never use that). It seems to work OK, though I might get myself a jig at some point.

Jameshow

Veteran
I think the pro-edge (or Axminster ultimate edge) is just a more sophisticated version of that :smile:

So far, I have been sharpening all my woodturning chisels & gouges freehand, using a white rotary grindstone (there is a grey one on the other end, but I never use that). It seems to work OK, though I might get myself a jig at some point.

I have a Myford ml8 don't use it much tbh.
Recently brought a morticer which is excellent!

Jameshow

Veteran

Just ask Jacob... If you know, you know!!

YellowV2

Veteran
Just trying the effetto mariposa Flowerpower wax drip lube, which according to the ZFC tests linked to earlier in this thread is the best wax drip lube. So thought I’d give it a try.

As a follow up to this my thoughts are:
It‘s not too expensive and fairly easy to apply and works ok as a lubricant however the chain does turn Black quite quickly and the build up of crud on the jockey wheels is huge, so much so it has affected the smoothness of the drivetrain which has required intensive cleaning. I‘ll not be using it anymore for these reasons.
Other drip waxes may be better and I may try some however as one that was highly recommended by the Zero friction article it has reduced my confidence in the article.
Also as someone who runs Campagnolo groupsets and chains hot waxing is not practical. Whilst the information in the articles is interesting he does have vested interests (sells lubes and prepped chains etc.) it would be interesting to see it peer reviewed although this is highly unlikely to happen!

Top Bottom