What chain lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Also as someone who runs Campagnolo groupsets and chains hot waxing is not practical. Whilst the information in the articles is interesting he does have vested interests (sells lubes and prepped chains etc.) it would be interesting to see it peer reviewed although this is highly unlikely to happen!

What is different about the Campagnolo stuff that makes it any different for hot waxing?

I haven't used any Campagnolo, so just curious what the difference is.

YellowV2

Veteran
What is different about the Campagnolo stuff that makes it any different for hot waxing?

I haven't used any Campagnolo, so just curious what the difference is.

Campagnolo chains do not have any official approved for use quick links and use a bullet type connector which is peaned. There are those that say you can use KMC quick links and on 11 speed and you possibly can but not 12 speed. Again some say you can use a SRAM eagle road link but neither are recommended and are not perfect.
Campagnolo have recently introduced their own link for 12 speed but it is a single use and obviously being Campag very pricey!
One could possibly hot wax and then maintain using a drip wax, which is something I may consider.

Alex321

Veteran
Campagnolo chains do not have any official approved for use quick links and use a bullet type connector which is peaned. There are those that say you can use KMC quick links and on 11 speed and you possibly can but not 12 speed. Again some say you can use a SRAM eagle road link but neither are recommended and are not perfect.
Campagnolo have recently introduced their own link for 12 speed but it is a single use and obviously being Campag very pricey!
One could possibly hot wax and then maintain using a drip wax, which is something I may consider.

Officially, the Shimano/SRAM ones are single use, but I have re-used them regularly.

I wasn't aware that Campag used different connectors. Thanks for that.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Can't you simply use a different brand chain? That's what I do with Veloce 10 speed.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As a follow up to this my thoughts are:
It‘s not too expensive and fairly easy to apply and works ok as a lubricant however the chain does turn Black quite quickly and the build up of crud on the jockey wheels is huge, so much so it has affected the smoothness of the drivetrain which has required intensive cleaning. I‘ll not be using it anymore for these reasons.
Other drip waxes may be better and I may try some however as one that was highly recommended by the Zero friction article it has reduced my confidence in the article.
Also as someone who runs Campagnolo groupsets and chains hot waxing is not practical. Whilst the information in the articles is interesting he does have vested interests (sells lubes and prepped chains etc.) it would be interesting to see it peer reviewed although this is highly unlikely to happen!

Sounds like a reasonable approach; if it's turning black it suggests drivetrain abrasion so of little benefit over traditional oil-based waxes.

What's the issue with hot waxing and the Campag gear - lack of quick links / ability to split the chain?

Just got some Weldtite Wet Lube, never used it before but my old one the label came off the bottle and I don't know what brand it is anymore.

YellowV2

Veteran
Can't you simply use a different brand chain? That's what I do with Veloce 10 speed.

Yes I could however if it was a problem for me however in my opinion the Campagnolo chains are of superior quality to all others and I’m perfectly happy using them. I’m not particularly bothered with waxing and looked after my chains perfectly well before waxing became a thing. I just thought I would highlight my findings with a highly recommended drip wax.

YellowV2

Veteran
Sounds like a reasonable approach; if it's turning black it suggests drivetrain abrasion so of little benefit over traditional oil-based waxes.

What's the issue with hot waxing and the Campag gear - lack of quick links / ability to split the chain?

Basically yes I can split chains no problem it’s the quick links see my previous reply to @Alex321

wafter

Basically yes I can split chains no problem it’s the quick links see my previous reply to @Alex321

Cool - have you looked at other alternatives? Wippermann have a good rep for quicklinks, perhaps they do some Campag-compatable stuff...?

No manufacturer is going to recommend an off-brand solution, so maybe best to crak out the vernier and brave pills :tongue:

YellowV2

Veteran
Cool - have you looked at other alternatives? Wippermann have a good rep for quicklinks, perhaps they do some Campag-compatable stuff...?

No manufacturer is going to recommend an off-brand solution, so maybe best to crak out the vernier and brave pills :tongue:

This has been done and there is an extensive thread on it on another forum where the Campagnolo guru for the UK comments and the links are not identical widths, yes some say KMC/SRAM work others disagree and Velotech definitely don’t recommend using them. I’m not particularly bothered about waxing to be honest it seems another solution to a problem that didn’t exist previously!

wafter

This has been done and there is an extensive thread on it on another forum where the Campagnolo guru for the UK comments and the links are not identical widths, yes some say KMC/SRAM work others disagree and Velotech definitely don’t recommend using them. I’m not particularly bothered about waxing to be honest it seems another solution to a problem that didn’t exist previously!

Sounds like you've done your homework :smile:

I think dismissing waxing in such a way isn't entirely fair as it has many benefits... although granted it's not for everyone and if there's no clearly-defined quicklink solution I guess that's the decision made for you.

YellowV2

Veteran
Sounds like you've done your homework :smile:

I think dismissing waxing in such a way isn't entirely fair as it has many benefits... although granted it's not for everyone and if there's no clearly-defined quicklink solution I guess that's the decision made for you.

Possibly so but for me an alternative may be to hot wax a new chain and maintain with a drip wax. I may try this at some point.

Top Bottom