What do I ask for......?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steam Pig

I'm looking to buy a cheap rear pannier rack on a certain auction site, but a lot seem to be missing the metal strips (meccano like) used for attaching to the seat stays. Does anbody know what these are called or where I can get hold of a pair ?

Tim Hall

Rack stays? St John Street Cycles have them.

For future reference: :okay:

bicycle_parts_labeled.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'm looking to buy a cheap rear pannier rack on a certain auction site, but a lot seem to be missing the metal strips (meccano like) used for attaching to the seat stays. Does anbody know what these are called or where I can get hold of a pair ?
if local to me in Northamptonshire i have a couple of used rear racks i have removed from bikes you are welcome to one of them if collecting @Steam Pig

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
If you mean the struts which are normally considered part of the rack, and which are adjusted to make the top of the rack level, surely these differ dependent on the rack - I've had some which needed to be very specific because they ran in a channel on the rack.
But the thought occurred to me, do you mean P-clips which wrap around the seat stays and enable the use of a rack on frames which don't have bosses for this purpose?

Edited: If so, they're widely available, e.g. from Evans (not necessarily the cheapest!)

Last edited:

zaza123

I was looking at Topeak Super Tourist racks on ebay and they were coming in at about £18 + postage and some of them had the stays cut to length. Luckily Evans had a clearance on the same rack for £20 with free p+p last week. Worth a check? It was the one specially for disc braked bikes so fits any 26" or 700c with or without discs. I know this because I realised after buying that my bike has inboard discs on chain stay rather than seat stay so didn't need the disc brake version of the rack. It just steps the rack down tubes out an inch or so. I guess it makes it future proof if I need to transfer to another bike with outboard discs.

OP
OP
Steam Pig

Steam Pig

If you mean the struts which are normally considered part of the rack, and which are adjusted to make the top of the rack level, surely these differ dependent on the rack - I've had some which needed to be very specific because they ran in a channel on the rack.
But the thought occurred to me, do you mean P-clips which wrap around the seat stays and enable the use of a rack on frames which don't have bosses for this purpose?

Edited: If so, they're widely available, e.g. from Evans (not necessarily the cheapest!)
The things I want look like strips of meccano If you're familiar with that. They bolt to the rack and then to the bosses or P-clips on the frame. I was under the impression they were all roughly the same length with a slight allowance for adjust ment

Top Bottom