What do we think of David Millar as a commentator?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We rather like him - he's massively experienced and has a clear understanding of racers and their tactics plus the ablity to explain them to dimwits like us. He has a pleasant manner, good screen appearance, clear enunciation and an okay voice although he lacks the mellow timbre of Uncle Phil. I hope he can make a career as a cycling commentator though I also hope he will drop all that "contrite former doper" stuff, accept that everybody did it and get on with his life.

AndyRM

XOXO
Love him. Everything you say is absolutely bang on.

His rapper name in Casa RM is D Milly.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I appreciate his knowledge, insights and ability to translate what's going on. On the downside, he can be a bit wooden but yesterday’s job reporting from the back of a motorbike loosened him up. I think with a bit of practice and possibly some coaching he's got a great career ahead of him, if he's interested. Hope so.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I like him and find his insight illuminating. I'm not sure, though, that he can lose his ''mea culpa'' role just yet. There are still too many stock denials in cycling, not to mention competitive professional sports in general.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Millar's a hit in our house, the days when they started commentary early without P&P was a breath of fresh air (at one point my wife turned to me and said 'the commentary is really good today' thought for a moment and then added, 'oh, Liggett isn't on yet is he...'.) Would happily listen to Millar and Imlach or Millar and Ned for the whole thing. Agreed, he needs to get in to the flow a bit, but he's hardly been doing it long.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I think he is a breath of fresh air and a great addition to the commentary team. I like his style of commentary as well as his insight and knowledge as to what is happening within the race.

G3CWI

Veteran
Putting him on the motorbike was a good idea. I now look forward to him interviewing riders during the race "you're looking a bit tired, how's it going?" etc.

Cyclist33

I suppose he's okay but no better or worse than any of the others. If I was God there wouldn't be commentary on sports, it just gets in the way and everyone commentates themselves anyway.

Cycling commentary is especially annoying because I love the sound of cycling and would rather hear that and the ambience than a bunch of nasal know-alls wittering throughout. If I wanted that I would just join the local wheelers.

Formula One is worse though because the only interesting thing about it is the noise of the engines and the continuous descriptions of people driving along straights and round corners ruins it.

Top Bottom