What do you feed your dog(s) on and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sight-pin

Veteran
I used to have a GSP (German Short hair pointer) that i worked as a gun dog, his diet was 'Bakers complete' with Butchers tinned meat, also our left overs, chicken, beef, etc with veg.
He lived a healthy life until he was getting on for 14yrs, which is good for that breed.
My advice is keep an eye the weight, their's a dimple that will form at the base of a dogs tail at the top if he/she is being over fed. Thats the rule i go by anyhow.

hedder2212

A Collie/springer , I bet that's a handful ?
she was a little bit when she was younger but she calmed down after she had a litter of pups at 5 years old and we had her done a year after she had them. She gets a morning and a evening walk over the park, 20 mins of fetch every evening will tire her out, tbh I think we got lucky with her as she wasn't as bad as some of the others that were from the same litter as she was

U

User6179

she was a little bit when she was younger but she calmed down after she had a litter of pups at 5 years old and we had her done a year after she had them. She gets a morning and a evening walk over the park, 20 mins of fetch every evening will tire her out, tbh I think we got lucky with her as she wasn't as bad as some of the others that were from the same litter as she was

Great nature is the Springer but mad as a brush , have two mates who have them and they both never stop waggling their tales or stop sniffing the ground and water , they would do anything to get in a muddy ditch ^_^.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Whippet eats a combo of James Wellbeloved dry food plus one of either: Raw mince, raw chicken wings, cooked white fish. Drinkwise he's partial to a fine Chablis ....

hedder2212

Great nature is the Springer but mad as a brush , have two mates who have them and they both never stop waggling their tales or stop sniffing the ground and water , they would do anything to get in a muddy ditch ^_^.
I love them, she was like that when she was younger and still has her moments. They do calm down a hell of a lot when they get older. As much as I love them I don't think I could have another one just because of how hyper they are when theyre young.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The Whippet eats a combo of James Wellbeloved dry food plus one of either: Raw mince, raw chicken wings, cooked white fish. Drinkwise he's partial to a fine Chablis ....
Whippetses are partial to the good stuff ^_^

When we had our foster Whippet, he liked fresh fish. He would somehow get his nose under the tank lid and scoff fish from the fish tank. We put books on the top in the end. We also had 'child proof' locks on all the cupboards, on the fridge and freezer. I rather miss him actually.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A Collie/springer , I bet that's a handful ?
My Mum had one of those, produced when a farmers Collie got hold of his pedigree gundog, lovely gel but mad as a hatter and named by my little sister as Candyfloss (shortened to Candy)
As for food my GSD was on Wagg and a tin of whatever dog food was on offer with the odd treat of a Hazelnut or 3 (one Christmas we'd bought some nuts and a Hazelnut rolled off the table, Sabor picked it up clonked it around his teeth, cracked it open then spat it out and picked up the kernel and scoffed it. We were so amazed we gave him another one and he did exactly the same with that, a few seconds of him clonking it around in his jaws to get it in the right position then 'crack', spit it out and wolf down the nut.)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Cheap and cheerful from Lidl. Keeps the dog alive :okay:
Occasionally supplemented with our table leftovers
(not much), sardines, which the dog loves, and a bit of liver here and there.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hill's Science Diet, 'cos that's what we were told and she likes it and seems to thrive on it, usually supplemented with leftovers - tonight including carrots, cauliflower and mini roast potatoes, but can be anything from rice to fish to macaroni cheese. She loves her leftovers!

Twinks

Über Member
When we had Spaniels (springers and a cocker) it was anything within their reach........that included shoes , slippers, socks, knickers! Now we have two mini schnauzers who now get a tin of Chappie between them twice a day and two tablespooons of natural yoghourt each + a couple of chewsticks or carrots for treats. This is what vet advised after one suffered itchy skin conditions and the other had sloppy poos. It works and its cheap. Happy days.

Edited to add a good variety of horse poo and sheep poo and other manky stuff found in the fields also.xx(

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whippetses are partial to the good stuff ^_^

When we had our foster Whippet, he liked fresh fish. He would somehow get his nose under the tank lid and scoff fish from the fish tank. We put books on the top in the end. We also had 'child proof' locks on all the cupboards, on the fridge and freezer. I rather miss him actually.
The goldfish is still there, but his food has been known to disappear ....

Top Bottom