What do you think of this lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
i've got that bad boy - £55 quid i think it cost me - bolt cutters required

I have the mini version of that and I like it...... the crucial thing I think it's to learn how to lock the bike properly. Small jack bottle are used to bust D locks so make sure you put as much of your bike inside the lock...... not so easy with a large lock though.

I use my lock like this and so far so good ( touch wood ) :biggrin:

5703617303_179d9a4d60_b.jpg

Furkz

Über Member
Manonabike - Many thanks i was abut to buy one of the stell braided locks and now gone for a mini.

Manonabike

Über Member
Manonabike - Many thanks i was abut to buy one of the stell braided locks and now gone for a mini.

Pleasure.

I'm still amazed how people leave nice bikes unattended...... yesterday I parked my bike while I went for a wonder around the shops, I stopped for an ice cream at a Newsagent and when I came out I saw outside the door what looked like an expensive bike..... I could have easily taken it. I thought about waiting for the guy to come back and say something but maybe he'd have told me to mind my own business :biggrin:

Furkz

Über Member
Manonabike - got mine today with 4foot cable to get the front wheel tied down too.. in the pic above have you gone through the main pillar frame? i cant really tell. i tried to lock mine going through the main frame and rear wheel and the lock is not wide enough, im a confused idiot at the mo ;-)

in addition search Youtube its sickening people opening these locks in under a min, made me thought i should have bought a ABUS and than saw a vid of that being picked too... the biro trick is awful for such an expensive lock

Manonabike

Über Member
Manonabike - got mine today with 4foot cable to get the front wheel tied down too.. in the pic above have you gone through the main pillar frame? i cant really tell. i tried to lock mine going through the main frame and rear wheel and the lock is not wide enough, im a confused idiot at the mo ;-)

in addition search Youtube its sickening people opening these locks in under a min, made me thought i should have bought a ABUS and than saw a vid of that being picked too... the biro trick is awful for such an expensive lock

Actually, I've gone through the seat stays and wheel, like this:

5703617315_581b2a5a85_b.jpg

However, you can also do it through the seat tube if you put it in an angle..... for this purpose I prefer my other lock (orange and black) that is a little smaller. The yellow one is a little too large for my liking :biggrin:.... looks like this though

5733337680_80ba3936ba_b.jpg

On youtube you will find lots of videos but some are very old - what you are buying with a lock is actually a bit of time. If it takes 20 seconds for somebody to cut a cable then lots of people could attempt that, even in a busy area. However, not so many will try to use large bolt croppers in a busy area for a minute.

I know my yellow lock is not perfect by any means but I know that you have to have some balls to use a power tool in a busy area to pinch my bike :tongue: I always leave it where there is plenty of people walking by or waiting for a bus.

My bike is not an expensive bike but it means a lot to me..... I put it together and I would hate to loose it. The other bike I've had it for over 20 years so it also means a lot to me. So I take the time to minimise the chances of getting it stolen.

There is no a worse feeling than leaving your bike in some place and coming back to find out it has gone :sad:

Furkz

Über Member
thanks guys, your help has given me a new scope and confidence... i bought the orange mini one with the 4foot cable to lock the front wheel too

Top Bottom