What is it with 'limit' markers..... on bikes..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK....... just got me new commuter..... first new bike for me in 15 years, but what's happened....:evil:

All these limit markers... 'what'...... get your silly labels off stuff..... ?

Saddle... levelled it up at home and whacked it back a little (it's much more forward than my road bikes as it's a fixed)..... later went round the other side and it's on the limit...eh.... and it's not a fancy dandy saddle with carbon rails - there ain't no silly markers on my 15 year old Flite Titanium.........

Markers on stems, markers on handle bars.... etc....;)

Sticker on inner carbon fork blade..blah blah...not designed for off road or else.........catastrophic failure....... FCUK this lot....where is me steel bike.... :evil:

You also still see the Pro bikes with the 'risk of death' stickers on the bottom of the down tube (like just from the shop) ...WTF...........

I think it's all gone a bit mad..............

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'll never forget the warning I saw in the handbook of a car we hired in Canada: "Be aware that crashing this vehicle into a bridge support may cause serious injury or death" or something like that.

longers

Legendary Member
I think I've probably said it on here before but there was a lad at school and on the washing label for his Trenchcoat said "Do not get caught in aeroplane propellors".

And in a previous job the bloke in the unit next door to us said he'd bought a hammer once that had a label on it saying "Average contents 1".

threefingerjoe

Über Member
We had a Japanese-built tractor at work, with a label that said, "Caution: Drain cooling water perfectly in cold season for preventing frozen."

We also had a pole-setting machine with crank-down stabilizers, and a picture-type warning decal of a foot being crushed by a stablilizer. It wasn't hydraulic...it was a CRANK type...like a jack. One old guy pointed at it, and said, in his very dry way..."Now, if you're ever cranking that down...and you start feeling pain...in your foot...stop cranking." ;-)

giantscr2.0

I bought a pack of peanuts the other and was pleased to read the warning on the back of the packet..."Caution may contain nuts"!! WTF

Schwinn USA were burned a decade or more ago to the tune of several million dollars when an eejit rode his new bike downhill through a junction on the wrong side of the road at night. He was hit by a Jeep, ended up a plegic and sued Schwinn because the owner's manual hadn't mentioned the need for lights at night.
Schwinn nor anyone else in the industry, as you might imagine, didn't think the guy stood a chance but his team of lawyers ripped the complacent Schwinn lawyers to pieces. The enormous payout heralded the end for Schwinn as it then existed and was a wake-up call to the whole industry.

Safety tabs on fork drop-outs, power modulators on 'V' brake noodles, rim wear indicator lines.... The manufacturers have to cover their backs.

threefingerjoe said:
We had a Japanese-built tractor at work, with a label that said, "Caution: Drain cooling water perfectly in cold season for preventing frozen."

We also had a pole-setting machine with crank-down stabilizers, and a picture-type warning decal of a foot being crushed by a stablilizer. It wasn't hydraulic...it was a CRANK type...like a jack. One old guy pointed at it, and said, in his very dry way..."Now, if you're ever cranking that down...and you start feeling pain...in your foot...stop cranking." ;-)

When I worked as a tree feller we took delivery of a new harvester, a giant chainsaw and grab on the back of a wagon. By the chainsaw part there was a warning sticker showing a man perched on the cutter with his leg detached. Our boss looked at it and said, "Anyone daft enough to sit on a chainsaw deserves what he gets."

buggi

Bird Saviour
Winnebago had the same problem. A guy put his motor home on cruise control and then went in the back to make a cuppa. He sued them when it crashed because it didn't make it clear in the handbook that you couldn't do this.

Top Bottom