What is meant by "half wheeling"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've seen this expression a couple of times and from the context it didn't look like it would make you popular. What does it mean?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Riding slightly ahead of the cyclist to your side.

I think it also extends to having your wheel overlap another riders by half a wheel such that if they moved sideways for any reason your wheels would collide and a crash is imminent.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's competitive cycling on a club run. What happens is that the person on the right hand side gets slightly ahead, and the person on the left hand side feels obliged to up the speed a little bit. Before you know it the entire club is rushing forward and then the slower riders get dropped. It's really what a club is not about.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
dell is spot on. when i first joined the club i went out for the gentle sunday ride with the elder statesmen who were brilliant people to learn the etiquette of group riding and the ethos of the club run. the half wheeling no-no was pretty much the first thing i was taught not to do…

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Thanks. My cycling buddy does this all the time; he is incapable of keeping a steady pace and he speeds up when we're going hard and he takes a turn on the front. We want to join a club but the timings of our two local clubs' runs seldom fit with our family obligations. (North Lancs RC and Clitheroe)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yep. I used to do it all the time, unconsciously, when I first joined a club. It's a lot about insecurity and trying to make an impression, but also just about lack of experience riding in pairs.

Brahan

Über Member
it's competitive cycling on a club run. What happens is that the person on the right hand side gets slightly ahead, and the person on the left hand side feels obliged to up the speed a little bit. Before you know it the entire club is rushing forward and then the slower riders get dropped. It's really what a club is not about.

I can't agree 100% with that. Sometimes a few hard miles really brings out the best in the group. Agreed, you shouldn't ditch your club mates, wait for them at the next junction if you have to.
thumbsup.png

PK99

Legendary Member
I can't agree 100% with that. Sometimes a few hard miles really brings out the best in the group. Agreed, you shouldn't ditch your club mates, wait for them at the next junction if you have to.
thumbsup.png

A club run is not a training run!

Half wheeling on a club run and breaking the group is very bad form. Different thing on a training run where everyone knows the deal (and how to find their own way home!)

A club run is not a training run!

Half wheeling on a club run and breaking the group is very bad form. Different thing on a training run where everyone knows the deal (and how to find their own way home!)

Absolutely agree, half wheeling in my estimation is a huge taboo.

oldroadman

Veteran
Riding slightly ahead of the cyclist to your side.

I think it also extends to having your wheel overlap another riders by half a wheel such that if they moved sideways for any reason your wheels would collide and a crash is imminent.

No, that's not it, that's overlapping and it's daft in a group, and in a race for that matter, unless you all now what you are doing and it's an echelon. A common mistake by people who start "racing" without the background of a club to help them learn not just etiquette but sound practice and sense. Personally I don't worry about someone doing it to me, I just don't want them to crash and bring someone following down as well.

While we are at it, getting out of the saddle without presure on the pedals makes the bike "jump" back a little, and is another excellent way of causing a crash. Something else riding with some experienced people in a proper club will help you with. It's all simple really!

Christopher

Über Member
While we are at it, getting out of the saddle without presure on the pedals makes the bike "jump" back a little, and is another excellent way of causing a crash. Something else riding with some experienced people in a proper club will help you with. It's all simple really!
Gawd a bloke I trained with once used to do that! Nearly had me off the first time, but I was too much of a wuss to say anything, I just stayed further back after that.
& half-wheeling on a club run is a chaingang, not a club run.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
as PK99 says training runs are different. I've been out with a club that made it clear - if you were dropped you were on your own. I remember somebody going off the edge of the road, into a grass ditch. Soyanara!

There are exceptions. The Cheam and Morden has a lot of ex-racing cyclists (I've been out with a pair of brothers who were tandem champs in the 50s). There's sometimes a bit of sprintfoolery at the front, and on hills for an imaginary jersey - and there's usually a sprint for the cakes at Capel. And if you've seen those cakes, you'll know that they are worth sprinting for. When I went out with them I usually had the fastest bike and I was usually the youngest (sometimes by quite a way) so I'd always win the sprint for the cakes. Form dictates that one takes extra time parking one's bike to allow the more senior members first crack at the tea.

oldroadman

Veteran
[QUOTE 1533270"]
From what I understand as well as the above, half wheeling equals to taking the piss of the lead rider.

It's like you are saying 'I'm quicker then you if I want to be, but I'll just ride here by your side slightly in front of you and be annoying instead.'
[/quote]

Spot on. Just plain bad manners.

Top Bottom