What speed do you ride along the road at...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
about 30kph (16mph) assuming no wind on a level, smooth road.

tyred

Legendary Member
On my SS road bike on the flat, I'd be looking at 16 - 20mph. Would need a higher gear to go faster but there are alot of hills around here.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Its depends, for commuting I generally do about 16-18mph on the flat, unless in a real hurry, but on longer rides with fully laden panniers, would be more like 12-14mph. I ride a touring bike for both duties.

This week's commuting has been pedestrian - 25kph I reckon. But it doesn't get much better than that when there are no roadworks etc - I would say 27kph average.

Riding to meet up, or riding with others towards a meet I think 32kph is a good benchmark. Which is 20mph in pounds, shillings and pence.

stevevw

Guru
Depends on bike and how scared I am.
Fixie 18 - 25 Commute
Roadie 20 - 28 Commute
Roadie A12 OMG ;) mode, get me off of here fast 25 - 30+

thomas

the tank engine
If I'm not in a rush, a bit tired or not that bothered, probably around 13/14mph. Going to and from work, which is pretty flat (small undulations), I'll average about 16 there, 18 home.

Depends what bike I'm on and conditions and where/ when in a journey it was.

This morning and yesterday along the flat section of path on the heavy wide tyred hybrid (with full pannier) which however, is largely sheltered from the wind, I was doing 17-19mph. Ive upped that to 23mph with wor and I couldn't sustain that long.
On the roadies I'd be comfortably cruising above 23mph and could raise that to around 28mph with work. The right road/ rolling surface makes a difference too IME.

For the Etape Caledonia last year (81 miles) I averaged 19.3mph and maxed at 33.8mph on the flat. If its windy this year I'll be lucky to do 16.5mph on the flat.

grhm

Veteran
Anywhere from 12-25mph. Some mornings when not fully awake/warmed up (and everything seems a struggle) I seem to cruise at 12-15mph using mainly my middle ring - other days I seem to do the same percieved level of effort, but will never leave the big ring and seem to cruise at 20-25mph.

Wish I could spot what the pattern is for those good day.

Shaun

Founder
Mainly medium speed, with an occasional slow then fast if I reach a hill or flyover. :biggrin:

12-16mph for me, depending on the wind.

redjedi

Über Member
I've got a couple of nice roads I go along on my daily commute, and I like to cruise at about 20mph, when I feel good. This morning it was about 17mph as I haven't set up the cleats properly on my new shoes.

But my commute is treated as a daily workout, so I couldn't keep it up for too long.

On longer rides I like to aim for about 16-18MPH.

Top Bottom