What's your favourite bit of brutalist architecture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
View attachment 676124
Peter Wormersley's magnificent stand at Gala Fairydean Rovers' Netherdale ground. Now back in use after a two year restoration and repairs to spalling concrete.

As originally built there was an open gap between the roof and the back of the seating area which allowed north-westerley gales and rain to blow through and soak the three men and a dog who normally watch the 'Dean. The club soon filled in the gap with advertising hoardings.

As it's a Grade A listed building the repairs had to restore it to its original design and once more the roof appears to float above the rest of the structure.
Thankfully the planners allowed the gap to be filled with a glass screen which keeps the fans dry.
It's a long time ago now but I'm astonished that I spent several summers boarding at the old College of Textiles campus directly opposite the 'Dean and never noticed the stand. For the avoidance of doubt, the spinners and weavers were off doing something more interesting while I was digging up Romans at Newstead.

Mr Celine

Discordian
ie a design failure. More sculpture than functional building!

Sculptures can be solid at the back and show graceful poise, delicate balance, precise shapes, intricate patterns...

You won't see any of that pish at a fifth tier Scottish fitba match. But if the game's a bit dull you can always appreciate the beauty of the sculpture. Worth the admission money just for that.
Which, by the way, you hand over at the turnstiles, under the shelter of one of these gems -

1675108512864.png

Photo is not mine and was taken before the restoration, which has also cleaned and repaired the damaged concrete which can be seen here.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
This article popped up among the curated news stories that an app delivers to my laptop for my perusal:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...&cvid=e7745e7a33124ef7830c5d0407e193da&ei=107

Birmingham has form for this, and at least one councillor who likes to tout the “everybody hates modern architecture” line regularly to support these decisions.

The same fate befell the Central Library, and even listing and a spirited campaign by the 20th century society couldn’t save it. No doubt they’ll claim that flogging off prime (if already occupied) development land is essential because they’re on their uppers.

presta

Guru
There's a good series just started on R4 this morning:

Why Boring Buildings Are Bad for Us​

Building Soul - with Thomas Heatherwick

The way cities get built is a quiet global catastrophe affecting all our lives. Buildings are too flat, too plain, too straight, too shiny, too soulless, too boring. This is the belief of designer Thomas Heatherwick.
In this first part of a new series for Radio 4, Thomas is on a mission to explain why this is far from a trivial issue - that it's bad for our health, bad for society and bad for the planet.
Backed by the latest cutting-edge scientific research, Thomas exposes the damage being done by the identikit modern urban environments scattered across the world.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Nothing boring about Brutalism ;)

Badger_Boom

Über Member

mikeIow

Guru
The 20th Century Society and Kevin McCloud among others are fighting a rearguard action to try and save at least some of it. I for one am disappointed that Historic England weren't persuaded to list it the last time it was up for redevelopment.
That is properly brutal - a slab of post-war beauty (to some eyes at least!).
Not sure how saving a little bit would help, but who knows…

Not sure if this has appeared before: Southgate House Leicester.
Sat on the inner ring road….used to have an awful underpass for pedestrians when I first moved here in the mid-80s.

IMG_2552.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

I quite like the student flats they threw up to the left of it there, but would love this to be tidied up.

Across the road De Montfort Uni did up the almost similarly designed Edith Murphy House: I quite like this too!
IMG_2553.jpeg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Top Bottom