wheel upgrade from Mavic Aksium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
I'd get these every time. Handbuilt by the guys who build Sky's wheels. Light, bombproof, better cornering, more comfort and better aero performance. If you buy a wheel with narrow rims you're buying yesterday's wheels

http://www.hedwheels.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HopeArd

Whatever you buy, be careful to watch the weight or the tyres and tubes too. Adding weight at the rim is the biggest penalty for climbing wheels

Howard

They are nice training wheels those Ardenes. Other wide options would be Velocity A23s or H+Son TB14s. They'd come in at similar weights to the HEDs. Strada do an A23 hand-build from £250 pair ( Sapim Race spokes, 1625g vs 1566g for the HEDs). Again I'm not convinced that shaving off 200-300g of the wheelset would make a huge difference to your ride but a wider rim certainly feels nice and losing the proprietary spokes is always a win.

e-rider

crappy member
RS80 C24s would be the lightest 'cheap' option and they can be found for £320 online
If you are a bit overweight, you'll find a diet helps more than expensive wheels when it comes to going up hill faster - cheaper option too!

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
You've ignored Howard then. ^_^
Not really, those are slightly aero. ^_^
My aksiums, although new-ish just seem a bit tired, maybe it's my imagination but these don't seem as well put together as the ones I had previously and it can't just be the difference between a shimano (now) and the campag freehub I had before. oh and black not silver rims ;)
So I was looking for an alternative that was better but wouldn't break the bank. I'll probably end up sticking with the akisums and saving for something like ksyrium elites or SL's

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
RS80 C24s would be the lightest 'cheap' option and they can be found for £320 online
If you are a bit overweight, you'll find a diet helps more than expensive wheels when it comes to going up hill faster - cheaper option too!
You calling me fat??:laugh: Seriously I know less mass helps, I'm about 11 stone 7 ish and about 6 foot so probably not too overweight and I'd be better off about 7 ibs lighter, I'm working on that.

I'm also doing hill reps once a week, a 3-4 minute hill x 3 initially now up to x 4 and heading to x 5 and I try to finish most rides on that same hill. I also try and fit in a moderately hilly ride at weekends and do some core strength excercises. I try to do one tempo ride a week coupled with some other intervals (6 x 3mins or 5 x 4 mins) if I can fit it in, but work sometimes gets in the way.

Things are improving but I'd like to move things on a bit and if improving my kit gives me some slight gains coupled with improving fitness then I'll give it a go.

e-rider

crappy member
You calling me fat??:laugh: Seriously I know less mass helps, I'm about 11 stone 7 ish and about 6 foot so probably not too overweight and I'd be better off about 7 ibs lighter, I'm working on that.

I'm also doing hill reps once a week, a 3-4 minute hill x 3 initially now up to x 4 and heading to x 5 and I try to finish most rides on that same hill. I also try and fit in a moderately hilly ride at weekends and do some core strength excercises. I try to do one tempo ride a week coupled with some other intervals (6 x 3mins or 5 x 4 mins) if I can fit it in, but work sometimes gets in the way.

Things are improving but I'd like to move things on a bit and if improving my kit gives me some slight gains coupled with improving fitness then I'll give it a go.
at under 12 stone for 6' tall - I'd say losing weight isn't something to worry about - perhaps get the credit card out and spend £600 on wheels then?
If you were 17 stone, I'd have said save the money and eat less!!!

potsy

Rambler
Is it worth the upgrade? I have Mavic Aksiums, I'm considering upgrading them to either Shimano Ultegra http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=12820
OrMavic Ksyrium Equipe http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=8592#scroll_to_here
Any recommendations or alternatives?
Those 2 are my current shortlist to replace the stock tyres on my Caad, hadn't realised the Aksiums were that light though, might even get those instead for much less £££'s.

zacklaws

Guru
My opinion of Mavic wheels is there junk and avoid at all costs, I bought a set of Aksiums and had nothing but problems with the spokes in the front wheel twisting and coming loose, even my LBS said it is a problem with them, and on some Aksiums, they never stop doing it and all you can do is replace the wheel, so I bought a set of Equipe, and after just 5000+ miles the rim cracked in several places and the spoke nipples began pulling out, so the wheel was replaced under warranty, and exactly the same happened and once again, just over 5000+ miles and only just over a 100 miles difference and oddly enough an hours riding difference between both wheels. Also the replacement Equipe developed a tendency to lock up momentarily whilst going slow on loose chippings etc or squeel if I was going fast. Never did find an answer to that problem as the wheel broke first. So I'm now on my 3rd Equipe back wheel and watching it carefully.

The problem of Mavic rims cracking was prevalent up to about 2010 if you search the net but they seem to have sorted it out, but on a happier note about them, my LBS claims they have sold hundreds of Equipe's and the only ones returned are mine. But I will still never buy Mavic again once I've managed to wear them out properly.

RedMG

Regular
I just bought some Mavic Ksyrium Elite's a few weeks ago as an upgrade for my CAAD 8. Absolutely love them, definite improvement when cornering and climbing. They come with Mavic tyres which I was a bit sceptical about as I had recently preferred the Conti GP4000s, but they have also been good and survived the 70 Mile Tour o the Borders sportive last weekend in horrendous conditions without getting one puncture. Managed to get the Elites plus new 105 chain and cassette for 535 from my LBS. Well happy and they also look the business.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Light, aero and gvfm go for PlanetX Al30's. Cheaper than Aksiums, lighter than Aksiums, more aero than Aksiums and more rugged with a higher spoke count. Whats not to like. :whistle: You could even change the decals for some Zipp 101 ones if you are worried about bling.^_^

Top Bottom