wheel upgrade from Mavic Aksium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

My opinion of Mavic wheels is there junk and avoid at all costs, I bought a set of Aksiums and had nothing but problems with the spokes in the front wheel twisting and coming loose, even my LBS said it is a problem with them, and on some Aksiums, they never stop doing it and all you can do is replace the wheel, so I bought a set of Equipe, and after just 5000+ miles the rim cracked in several places and the spoke nipples began pulling out, so the wheel was replaced under warranty, and exactly the same happened and once again, just over 5000+ miles and only just over a 100 miles difference and oddly enough an hours riding difference between both wheels. Also the replacement Equipe developed a tendency to lock up momentarily whilst going slow on loose chippings etc or squeel if I was going fast. Never did find an answer to that problem as the wheel broke first. So I'm now on my 3rd Equipe back wheel and watching it carefully.

The problem of Mavic rims cracking was prevalent up to about 2010 if you search the net but they seem to have sorted it out, but on a happier note about them, my LBS claims they have sold hundreds of Equipe's and the only ones returned are mine. But I will still never buy Mavic again once I've managed to wear them out properly.

Can confirm spokes on my aksiums rear wheel non drive side keep twisting.

woohoo

Veteran
I've had the spokes twist on my Aksiums but have found it no problem to slacken the nipple, turn the spoke and re-tension. Apart from that, they've been faultless in 9500 miles and haven't needed any trueing from new.

Top Bottom