When a friend does a punishment pass...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Easy: he's a bad driver, who didn't like the fact that you criticised his driving. He didn't say he was punishing you, he tried to justify his poor driving by blaming you. Big difference.

I've had several. Close pass followed by a beep and the driver gesticulating/pointing to the left.

Nobeds.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Why do so many persist with this "punishment pass" guff? They're not out to punish you because you're riding a bike, they're just piss poor drivers who really don't understand what they're doing wrong. They're the types that don't slow down for horses, blast through pedestrian crossings, fail to indicate, use their phones while driving, hog the middle lane, the list goes on.
Despite your denial, punishment passes are performed; they're not usually (IME) because you're riding a bike, but because the driver thinks you shouldn't be riding on the road. I've had several, including the driver of a double-decker who overtook so close I had to stop pedalling for fear of hitting the kerb, and then do an emergency stop. When I caught up with him, he was adamant that I should have been on the cycle farcility, and made it very clear that if he saw me on the road along that stretch again he would come even closer. He's no longer driving that route, in fact I hope he's no longer driving a bus.
Believe it or not, there are many drivers who think that cyclists who choose to ride on the road in preference to a crappy "facility" are breaking the law - this is evidenced by the frequent letters published in the local rag demanding fines for cyclists who do this. A small minority of these idiots take "the law" into their own hands and try to enforce it. This is a fact!

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Too much communion wine perhaps....

Not at evensong.

gazza_d

Offer to take her on a cycle ride. If she accepts, find a busyish road. f she doesn't "cos drivers make it dangerous" then politely press the point.
A good meme from Twitter is to ask her if she likes standing close to the edge of a platform when a train passes.

I've had words with a couple of neighbours who've driven like tw@ts around me, also a couple of colleagues. Common themes are
"I was in a hurry" - so that makes it Ok to scare and endanger someone else then? Would they push in in a supermarket Q if in a hurry?
"I didn't realise it was you" - so it's Ok to risk strangers lives though. It could always be someone you know.

I do like people to know I cycle, but more importantly that they realise someone they know cycles

Top Bottom