When Will or Did you Retire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I retired on 14th June 1989

Jimidh

Veteran
I'm 50 next year and plan to sell up my business in 5 years time but if I'm still enjoying work then I'll probably keep going till I can't be bothered.

Reactions: JtB

Dave7

Legendary Member
I retired aged 63 (I'm 68 now)..............I ran my own business for some years and loved it but did not miss it one bit from the day I walked away.
I have a small pension but was fortunate as the last few years were good ones (financially) so I had a good cushion.
As I enjoy cycling, walking, golfing, bird watching etc. I am never short of something to do.
Both my wife & I are, fortunately, quite fit so enjoy the walking & bird watching together.

Mrs M

Guru
Mr M will be semi retiring in around 3 years, he's planning to work 3 days per week in a less stressful type of job, then golfing and messing up the house.
He says I must carry on until I'm 70 :sad:.

Drago

Legendary Member
Probably March or April next year, depending on the exact date I'll be either 47 or 48. I'll bum around for a bit, then decide whether to go home to Shetland, or stay doon sooth and maybe do something part time for Guinness money. With the injuries I've accumulated while doing my jobs in the service of the Queen (broken foot in the Army, which gives me minor grief, and a broken elbow patched together with Ti acquired in the Dibble, which causes me considerable grief) it'd be difficult to carry on, and I don't intend to wait to be dumped on the street with no compensation or recourse if/when Winsor gets his way.

I'll spend a bit more time on SAR work I think.

Venod

Eh up
As posted in another thread.

I packed in at 59 and was enjoying it, but was tempted back with an offer I couldn't refuse I didn't like the job but I as getting more for 3 days than I was for 5 so I put up with it for a year, there were no regrets when it came to end and I now enjoy my sometimes lazy sometimes action packed days, (mostly cycing and some walking) I see more of my grandchildren than I ever did of my own, I always regarded work as a means to an end.

Reactions: JtB

Stevec047

Über Member
Retirement I doubt by the time I am at the age to retire I will be able to pensions are a thing of the past and even if I could afford to pay into one I find them very unfair should something happen that forces you to stop working.

My plan is to buy a property work hard to pay the mortgage off as soon as possible and then hope the housing market works out when I turn 65 then downsize and get a part time job just to keep myself from going crazy.

Sharky

Guru
Reached 65 in Feb this year and retired in June. As a lot will say, have less spare time now then when I was working. In the first 3 months, a few holidays and visiting distant relatives etc. Thoughts of long cycle rides never materialised, but opportunities for frequent short rides, 4 or 5 times a week seem to be doing wonders and feeling fitter than I have for a long time. Plus I used to sit in an office, supping coffee/tea for 8 hrs a day. Now I am generally more active all the time and weight dropping (almost a stone), so looking forward to when the 10's start again.

At 50+ not even thinking of retiring from the job I love. (and which incidentally every early "retired" teacher, civil servant, serviceman and copper seem to be able to do if we were to believe the CVs we get). Maybe when I do get too weak and frail to do the job, which won't be for 20 years.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm just waiting on a date to go early next year, March or April just waiting on the twelve weeks notice letter. A nice VS package and company pension. We've just sold the house, buying a flat in Chichester which will do until we get a place in Spain next year. We'll rent out Chi which will also be somewhere if it doesn't work out in Spain I intend to do some walking, cycling the Brompton along the paseo and get a road bike out there as well. Mrs J also does a bit of walking and cycling. I will also get involved with an animal charity , learn Spanish and generally chill. I'll also find time for AA meetings and commitments as without this I wouldn't be around to retire now. I'll be 58 in March so hopefully a few fit years to go yet.

postman

Legendary Member
August 2006,lump sum and pension at 56.It was a no brainer.I was sick of the job,so were a load of my mates.If Leeds office is anything to go by all offices lost some good men and women.Were they bothered ,i don't think so.Word out on the streets is,the job is totally crap now.So going was a godsend.

Top Bottom