Where/how can I carry extra water ON my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I`m finding that one large water bottle is not enough on some rides. I`ve been trying to find a way to carry more water on the bike, but have not come up with anything suitable yet.

The orange/black triangular bag (see photo) is very useful to me, holding 2 spare tubes, phone, reading glasses, allen keys, 2 plastic tyre levers and bit of cash and that is about it. I cannot fit the Co2 inflator set in without taking some stuff out, but am happy with that arrangement at the moment.

However, if I did not have this bag I could fit another water bottle as there are screw holes for another bottle cage just below my bag. I don`t have a cycle jacket with pockets etc, and maybe my only option is some sort of bottle cage on the handle bars. Would this be practical? I don`t think I would get much in a bag under the saddle. What advice & suggestions do you guys have?

Attachments

• Photo1190.jpg
    Photo1190.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo1192.jpg
    Photo1192.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 36

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Try a frame-top bag (i.e. mounted at the front of the top tube) like the one I'm using here (this was from my France cycling tour just finished a bit over a week ago):

day4-ventoux-from-bedoin-me-near-summit-2.jpg

The front bidon is a slightly tight fit, but it doesn't matter, because I drank from the rear bidon, then when that emptied, swapped the bidons. It worked well enough for that week.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can't you put the triangular bag at the front of the frame instead? Do you need two bottles with winter coming? Assume you use a 700ml one

Try a frame-top bag (i.e. mounted at the front of the top tube) like the one I'm using here (this was from my France cycling tour just finished a bit over a week ago):

day4-ventoux-from-bedoin-me-near-summit-2.jpg
It looks like you have two bags on your top tube-a decent sized one under and a small one on top?

I was about two thirds of the way in to a 25 miler when I ran out of water. I didn’t want to do the final 8 miles or so home without any water. (I don’t carry a lock (I’m already carrying more than I want to lol). I was in a dodgy area and I asked a Chinese student to get me a bottle of water from this Tesco express where I had stopped at.

Yep, reading glasses. I’m rubbish without them. I’d struggle a bit to send an SOS tx if needed lol. Too much time spent on the solo road to pleasure I think.

I don’t think the bag will fasten at the front because of the where the Velcro straps are located on the bag. I`ve tried different positions without any success. (I’ll check again though). I like to drink plenty-I seem to need it. Certainly a bit less in winter. Yes about 700ml. One of them and a small one would do me I think, if I can fit the 2nd one on the bike.

I had a saddle bag but it tended to obscure my rear light, and I could not fit the items in that I now carry. Maybe a larger one? Do you know if there is a way to a secure a rear light to the saddle, then a bag could go under the light?
OR
If I got a saddle bag that was large enough, would I be able to relocate my rear light in an alternative good safe position?

All good responses / possible solutions thanks.

Last edited:
cheapest and best solution I know is the Topeak Cage Mount which is around the £5 mark. It will attach to any tube in either vertical or horizontal position and of any size. I have used them extensively across my bikes (7 between the 2 of us) and never had an issue with them. They allow you to mount another water bottle anywhere. The best place is usually just under the saddle on the saddle post, or on the handlebars as needed. (with our touring bikes we had an additional 2-3 each allowing us to carry the fuel bottles more safely.

This is the link http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CL36krzvq88CFdgmvQod0A8ORw&gclsrc=aw.ds

si_c

Guru
I've only got one set of mounting bosses on my main bike, for longer rides I use a larger bottle and refill. I've asked people I've passed outside their homes if they would refill it and they are usually happy to oblige.

Worst case, I just buy a bottle to refill.

For the OP, get a medium sized saddlebag, and everything you currently carry in the frame bag will fit, apart from the glasses. Get a top tube bag and you are good to go.

vickster

Legendary Member
Most saddle bags have a hook to which you can secure a light

Are you properly hydrated before you go out cycling?

Top Bottom