Where/how can I carry extra water ON my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Water.... Beer is better

beer_cam01-copy-1.jpg

Moderator's Hat on here.

Before you start complaining about the off-topic discussion that ended up in bickering and some downright rudeness which is not acceptable on this forum being deleted, not all posts deleted were rude, but once you start deleting an off-topic thread within a thread, you have to follow through and delete all of it, so some of you will have received a 'your message has been deleted for ....' alert even though yours may not have been rude etc. So please take this as a polite warning not to continue with that off-topic thread, stay on topic and polite please otherwise there will be thread bans issued. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about two thirds of the way in to a 25 miler when I ran out of water. I didn’t want to do the final 8 miles or so home without any water. (I don’t carry a lock (I’m already carrying more than I want to lol). I was in a dodgy area and I asked a Chinese student to get me a bottle of water from this Tesco express where I had stopped at.
um, unless you have a medical condition, you don't need water to get you through 8 miles, especially if you are well hydrated.

Edit: I wrote this without noticing the thread now goes for 3 pages, so missed the fight. If I am crossing a line, @SatNavSaysStraightOn please feel free to delete this.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I must admit, i do tend to take more water than i need. So I'll have 500ml on the frame plus 750ml in the pannier for a forty mile ride. I never drink anywhere near all of it but i like to know i've got enough. I also tend to freeze half of the 750ml back-up bottle... so I've got ice cold water instead of that tepid stuff :okay:

From a non-moderator's point of view, I won't cycle any distance without knowing I have water with me. Not everyone reports medical conditions here and I don't know what the op doors and doesn't have but any asthmatic or anyone with other breathing issues will tell you that breathing is a lot easier with a wet mouth and throat than a dry one and I for one, have major issues breathing when my throat, not mouth, gets dry. Also if you are only just getting to 20-30 miles in fitness levels you will need more water than someone who routinely does +50mile trips. And we have no idea of the OH's fitness, the ground covered, medical conditions, or temperature on the day, so it's unfair to judge how much water a person should or should not carry. I always go out with at least 2 water bottles and will often end up driving a 3rd carried by my oh. He is less fit than me, has fewer medical issues, non affecting his breathing, and will only drink 1 water bottle on the same ride I would get through 3. Yet he will need pee stops 3 or 4 times more frequently than myself. There is a joke in our household regarding that one, but I won't day it here. What I'm saying is that it varies from person to person, so don't judge.

Top Bottom