Which bike? All advice welcome :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
For a commuting bike, as you are 14st, you don't want a bike with a low spoke count. I think 28 front and 32 rear should be OK.

I agree that mudguards are a good idea - not all bikes can take them. As was pointed out above, for year round commuting, you want a widish tyre. 28mm at least, I'd suggest.

A bike with mudguard mounts will probably be able to also take a rack and/or panniers later in case you change you mind about the backpack. I use a Deuter AC 22 lite backpack, I think it's called, and this is much better than the backpack I was using originally as it allows airflow around my back and hence isn't as sweaty. Not as much space as my original, though.

I'm a bit of a different size than you. I'm 5'9" with nearly a 34 leg. I think you have a shortish leg for your height, where I'm the opposite. Make sure you test ride a few different frames so that you are happy with the reach. If Evans can watch you on a turbo in the shop, and they have a few different frame sizes, that's a good idea.

The good thing about cyclescheme.co.uk is that there is plenty of other choice in case you don't get along with Evans or you want another opinion. I actually thought cyclescheme.co.uk was just for independent bike shops (not chains), but again I must be wrong.

Custom24

Über Member
By the way, I'm relatively new to cycling (2 years) and particularly to road bikes. So take what I say with a pinch of NaCl.

Top Bottom