Which Carrera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm looking to try a road bike for the first time since the mid 80's (my 'everyday' bike is a Boardman Hybrid).
Like many, I don't really need another bike, so I don't want to spend a fortune on something that I won't get on with, but I don't want to buy second hand due to all the potential pitfalls.

I'm looking at 4 Carrera options from Halfords - all around my £250-ish budget with their current extra 10% off offer, but I'm wondering which would be the better bike for the money? I'm slightly dubious about the apparently huge savings shown against each bike.

I know that some people don't rate Halfords, but the branch on York Rd, Leeds has been spot on for mine and Mrs ND's bikes and they are ideally located for me. I can understand the praise for the Decathlon products, but their nearest shop is over 40 miles away and I want to see / try the bike for size (at least) before I buy.

These are the four bikes: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...=2625#compare=1024810|1038568|1090073|1024813

The Carrera TDF Ltd, Carrera Virtuoso, Carrera Karkinos Limited and the Carrera Zelos.
The specs look very similar to me (The Virtuoso has 2 extra gears, but the TDF has a carbon fork, would these items make much difference at this price point?), so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

mustang1

Guru
A long time ago I contemplated this very question. But my only choice was red black or white. I went with white.

Can really only comment on kids bikes (10 year old) as our two have a tdf carrera (halfords) and a triban 3 (decathlon). Both were £250 new and while there are some differences between the two, they're both decent / decent value bikes and am happy with both. You're right, the savings are :wacko:. I'd probably go for the tdf (slightly better spec) and wait a week or two for a "sale", they seem to happen every few weeks.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Plus according to wikipedia the 4S was not a Carrera, but a Panamera.

You're welcome
Nah, the pan is a proper 4 seat grand tourer...it's a bus.

The 4s is a 4wd, wide body carrera.

the pan
2014-porsche-panamera-diesel_100438447_h.jpg

and the 4s
porsche_911_carrera_4s_991.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm looking to try a road bike for the first time since the mid 80's (my 'everyday' bike is a Boardman Hybrid).
Like many, I don't really need another bike, so I don't want to spend a fortune on something that I won't get on with, but I don't want to buy second hand due to all the potential pitfalls.

I'm looking at 4 Carrera options from Halfords - all around my £250-ish budget with their current extra 10% off offer, but I'm wondering which would be the better bike for the money? I'm slightly dubious about the apparently huge savings shown against each bike.

I know that some people don't rate Halfords, but the branch on York Rd, Leeds has been spot on for mine and Mrs ND's bikes and they are ideally located for me. I can understand the praise for the Decathlon products, but their nearest shop is over 40 miles away and I want to see / try the bike for size (at least) before I buy.

These are the four bikes: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...=2625#compare=1024810|1038568|1090073|1024813

The Carrera TDF Ltd, Carrera Virtuoso, Carrera Karkinos Limited and the Carrera Zelos.
The specs look very similar to me (The Virtuoso has 2 extra gears, but the TDF has a carbon fork, would these items make much difference at this price point?), so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Ok so serious answer now.

I can see the confusion. There seems to be little between the virtuoso and the TDF...or the Karkinos for that matter. Geometry seems similar, all three seem to be compact doubles from the photos.

However, for me the Virtuoso has the claris shifters, which have a paddle gear and brake system...like proper shifters. I believe the tourney, as a cheaper system uses those little thumb shifters. Nothing wrong with them as such but as soon as you move up the specification you will go to a paddle, so may as well start there.

Actually I say there is nothing wrong with the thumb shifters...there is...I cant stand them...but that's a personal thing. I like to brake and down shift .... all with the same fingers and not have to worry about having to deploy my thumbs too.

Whilst I like the the carbon fork on the TDF (to soak up bumps and vibration a little) the shifters would make me go for the Virtouso (edited as I originally, mistakenly said TDF..sorry).

Oh and there are plenty of folk who stand by Halfords (despite their patronising and pitiful ad campaigns mocking the same cyclists that pay their wages) I suspect its more of a faith in the set up, not the product. so check everything is tight...especially basic thinks like wheels and brakes.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are all OK. Pick the one you like best.

My kids have Carrera MTBs, son has a Vengeance and my daughter a Luna. Both great. My son has used his on black and red runs so the are good enough. I've had no on going maintenance issues with either. Just regular clean and an oil.

Just checking as I noticed their road bikes had a maximum frame size of 54cm fitting in with what seems to be a 2 or 3 frame sizes at or below average height for budget bikes (I had
issues getting a budget mountain bike as 18 and 20" frames were the only choice). Where as the boardmans go higher but then I suspect have a higher profit margin.

MiK1138

Veteran
I ran a 2013 Zelos for a year and half, it was a nice bike, Gears are responsive wheels where fine never went out of true in 1.5 years of commuting i would recomend changing the tyres from day 1 as the supplied tyres where made of plastecine,this was my first road bike after a 20 yr gap and i thouroghly enjoyed it. then i got the carbon bug so it had to go. i liike the thumb shifter but it may have just been novelty value as i had only used down tube shifters previously

Top Bottom