Which Carrera?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
The vanquish seems the best bet, I have a Zelos, and whilst it got me going on the road, it is a heavy lump and you can only change up a gear from the hoods, due to the thumb shifter, the 14 speed is a freewheel, so it would mean spending a fortune to upgrade the thing to a reasonable spec, for me you would be looking at wheels, derailleur, stem, shifters, saddle for starters, the only upside is it will take mudguards.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've run a Virtuoso as a winter bike; it worked fine and they have good re-sale value. I'm running an old magnesium-framed Carrera Virago as a commuter at the moment and it handles well.

The Karkinos is more equipped for road and gravel, etc. The others are more road only.

Personally I'd go for the Virtuoso/Vanquish over the TDF/Zelos; it's 16-speed which is more common. The rest aren't up to that level. The Vanquish is then a bit better than the Virtuoso with a carbon fork.

They're basically the same frame, made by Merida, with slightly different levels of equipment.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
id go for virtuoso, i have tdf from last year and it is terrible bike or at least i was unlucky, geras are skipping no matter what you do, ive made to index them properly... once and the index lasted me for 100 miles then it went out of true again.

Virtuoso by far has better gear than tdf so if u really have to get carrera, get virtuoso... or get better bike from start :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just to out a spanner in the works i use dot have a virtuoso and upgraded to a vanquish , the carbon fork and better grade aluminium on my version is better than my old virtuoso.
The latest vanquish is nearly 1kg than the virtuoso .

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Thanks again to all.

I popped in to try a couple of bikes out and noticed that they had the Boardman Road Comp reduced by £200, then another 10% off.
Tried it, liked it, did a deal and bought it - pick it up on Wednesday... :becool:

www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-comp-bike

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife.

Last edited:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
every man needs to have some toys! no matter the age :smile: i think ur missus understands that very well :smile:)

SteCenturion

I am your Father

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
They're basically the same frame, made by Merida, with slightly different levels of equipment.
not any more; they used to be when they were 6061 heat treated aluminium (see winter bike in my sig line), but the 7005 aluminium frames are not merida-made, so my lbs tells me (he's a merida dealer). you're right that it's the same frame with better finishing kit…

my virtuoso is a real trigger's broom; only the headset remains (apart from the frame) from the original bike. that said, it was an excellent entry level bike that i started riding with a club on…

Top Bottom