Evolution of a boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No, I think plastic is very much what it is... no reason why it shouldn't be strong enough though.
I've been looking at the K-edges and I'm struggling to justify the price.
You can pre-order the SRAM from Wiggle now for thirteen and a half quid, so I may take a gamble, and worst case it can go on the winter bike.

I will comment, I bought a K-Edge, very well machined, but it smashed the Garmin (snapped the little lips off of the back of the Garmin). Chances are the Garmin was ready to go, but it hadn't gone yes and with the 1st insertion into the K-Edge it broke. The K-Edge removes a little material from the Garmin as the tabs slide into the slots (even K-Edge acknowledged this to me via email) which obviously finished it. K-Edge took the mount back with a refund, but still... broken Garmin. They did say mine was only the 3rd case of this type they were aware, and all were in Garmin unit's over 2 years old. So if your Garmin is >2 years old, be careful and stop turning if at all concerned. Also, I think they place the Garmin a tad too low for my tastes. I would like to stress, I am not bad mouthing the product, it is very good and the many reviews will back this up, just stating my experience (which was bad, although the aftersales was EXCELLENT).

The SRAM mount is okay, but just like the barfly, it positions the Garmin in a silly position above the height of the stem and looks clumsy.

The official Garmin mount is quite good. I am now using one of these and it is plenty secure and strong, it also places the Garmin in a very good position, I prefer the position to that of the K-Edge, it is not as bling as a K-Edge though.

There is a Quarq mount which looks to be the best of all of these out front mounts aesthetically, but it is not out yet and I wonder if it will ever be released since they are owned by SRAM and SRAM just launched the SRAM branded design, which is inferior to the Quarq design.

There also exist quite a few different mounts created with 3D printers by small companies, like the Raceware direct mount.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Here is the latest updates .
changed the rear mech to a short cage apex in white as i knackered the split pin holding the barrel adjuster on the old model and it was only another £15 for a new mech and changed the saddle today to a black charge spoon.
Here is a piccie after my 23.5 quickie loop , set a PB for the year of 20.3 mph average.
2013-05-05 20.25.02.jpg

jack smith

Veteran
Notice a bog dofference between the two wheels? Ive owned both the r501 and rs11 and the 11's roll gkreat and look really cool, i found my r501's much stiffer though

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Notice a bog dofference between the two wheels? Ive owned both the r501 and rs11 and the 11's roll gkreat and look really cool, i found my r501's much stiffer though
Stuck the r501s on the commuter and TBH there a bit too stiff for riding with on the country lanes as the road buzz is a killer , i could do with something like the cxp 22s the boardman came with but i sold them with the virtuoso

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Latest update
Just ordered the superstar wheel set at just under 1500g the pair , based on mathlogy the updates i will have added over the years will have knocked 1 kg off the bike weight to bring it in around 8 kg
Not bad for a bike originally costing £550 total paid on C2W

GoldDust

Regular
Looks really great Boardman bikes are great value for money. Just wondering if you keep changing it are you or will you ever be truly content with it

Top Bottom