Evolution of a boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Here is a snapshot of the changes my boardman has seen in the last 18 months
Fresh from the shop with a cheap wired computer and m520 pedals.
10041j.jpg

Bar tape changed to black as it went grubby and a wireless computer added,pedals changed to a 600`s.cassette changed to an 11-28 along with the stem being dropped .
photo0032zo.jpg

And today, garmin 200 added and wheels changed to r501`s, stem dropped another spacer.
photo0095mi.jpg

Looks good. Have you noticed a difference with the wheels?
How do you keep it so clean?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Looks good. Have you noticed a difference with the wheels?
How do you keep it so clean?
Not been ridden for over a month as i have only used my virtuoso lately so i cant give an answer although they felt lighter than the standard wheels , and baby wipes :smile:
That looks good cyber feel your pain with the white bar tape. It's an awful color tape to try and keep clean. Got any more plans for it ?
When the cassette wears out i will get a closer range block as i do not need a 28 , maybe an 12-25 /11/25.
Nicer tyres would be nice although i had some ultremo`s and sold them as they looked that thin i did not dare use them .
Weighed the bike and its under 9 kg , i think the most benefit i can get from the bike is actually getting more good riding in with a plan, this year has been very patchy as 2 young kids come first.

I got one of THESE for my Edge. I find it easier to see being pushed further forward :thumbsup:
Yes i did look at one of those , we shall see how we go as the bike is a small and as from the photo you can see i do not have that much seat post showing .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I have the CXP and have been thinking about changing them.

why did you change the wheels?
Because i have always kicked myself for not getting the £1k bike with the mavics and the most difference between the two was the wheelset.It was x mas and i had enough cash to get these from ribble for £70.^_^

I got one of THESE for my Edge. I find it easier to see being pushed further forward :thumbsup:

fliploc.jpg

It's not the greatest pic as it makes it looks wonky, but I'd just not positioned it properly!

I have just got a 605 and found it sits a bit too far back, so I was going to make a mount that would move it in front of the stem and also mount a couple of lights onto it. That one you have looks like it is an injection moulding, most of the mounts I have seen are cnc machined. Is it stiff enough?

Peteaud

Veteran
Because i have always kicked myself for not getting the £1k bike with the mavics and the most difference between the two was the wheelset.It was x mas and i had enough cash to get these from ribble for £70.^_^

Let us know how they go.

Although i think the R501 looks better on the bike as well.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Let us know how they go.

Although i think the R501 looks better on the bike as well.
Another CC member has actually told me he likes them as much as the mavics he has got as he had some 500`s for sale but i got these for a good price with a shop warranty otherwise i would have bought theirs.

Is it stiff enough?
Without a doubt yes.

The CNC ones like the K-Edge do look nice, (if a little bling IMO), and I could have got one of those far more quickly as well, but I just didn't want to clamp alu onto alu, can't really say why but I just didn't want to.

I would recommend the Design Cycles mount to anyone, BUT, while they are comparable price wise with just about any other similar mount, if customs stop it and take their pound of flash then they do work out quite expensive TBH.

I'm only about a mile from Asda at Astley Bridge, so if you ever want to have a butchers at it just let me know :thumbsup:

[EDIT] sorry for the hijack CK :blush:

Without a doubt yes.

The CNC ones like the K-Edge do look nice, (if a little bling IMO), and I could have got one of those far more quickly as well, but I just didn't want to clamp alu onto alu, can't really say why but I just didn't want to.

I would recommend the Design Cycles mount to anyone, BUT, while they are comparable price wise with just about any other similar mount, if customs stop it and take their pound of flash then they do work out quite expensive TBH.

I'm only about a mile from Asda at Astley Bridge, so if you ever want to have a butchers at it just let me know :thumbsup:

I am a cnc machinest, so I can design and make my own. I am not too worried about bolting aluminium to aluminium, I have a few options, I have some rubber I can cut and place inside the clamp or (the more likely solution) use a grease between them to stop any corrosion.

Garz

Squat Member

Ahhh a fellow Bolton-ite!

My Boardman Comp has seen these changes before I transported it over the pond for when I'm on holidays:

Pedals> Keo
Bar Tape> Branded (Changed twice before)
Cassette> 23-12
Tyres> Conti Grand Prix 4000S (Tried cheap tyres during rougher months)
Chain> KMC with quick link

My next changes will be when re-cabling the brakes going to a shallow drop bar as the one it comes with has humongous loop. I was considering modifying this to use on TT's as it is pretty aggressive - I too dropped the spacers like you have CK.

Top Bottom