Which stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In time you get used to most things but the difference between 110 & 80cm is vast and suggests a case of making do.
I took advantage of a giant TCR at trade price when my fitness and knacked body was more suited to a Defy. I had to use maximum spacers and reduce the stem from 110 to 100 to achieve my correct position. It made the front end a bit twitchier but perfect otherwise.
Any more adjustments would usually suggests wrong size.
Not at all. There is a difference in top tube length of 3 cm. One is my winter bike, a much longer frame with mudguard clearance, the other my 'summer' bike which has a much more compact frame. A 3rd bike has a 100mm stem, so as to approximate my position on the others. My position on the winter bike is more upright too' due to it having a longer head tube

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
For me it is about fine tuning the bike to get it just right for me.

I prefer a slightly more upright riding position so a reduction in stem length will allow this. I might revert back to a longer stem later but for now a small reduction should do the trick.:smile:

I went for an 80mm from 110mm on a giant defy a couple years back as I felt I was over reaching. I could tell after only a few miles that I wasn't as comfortable in the corners, just felt too twitchy.
I shouldn't have reduced the length by as much as that to be honest and should've gone for 100 or possibly 90mm.
The bloke i spoke to in the Giant store in Eastish London told me "you won't notice a thing unless you drop by about an inch".

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Regardless of the stem length / reduction, the outcome will be dependent upon the (i) bike geometry and (ii) rider geometry !?

Bikes do vary and as riders we all vary immensely.

festival

Über Member
Not at all. There is a difference in top tube length of 3 cm. One is my winter bike, a much longer frame with mudguard clearance, the other my 'summer' bike which has a much more compact frame. A 3rd bike has a 100mm stem, so as to approximate my position on the others. My position on the winter bike is more upright too' due to it having a longer head tube

If your happy then fine!
Small adjustments from bike to bike can allow for the variation in geometry and design but regardless of it being a 'winter bike or whatever the contact points should be the same ish and you start achieving that goal with the right frame size.
Many people are riding the wrong size frame, they must have this trendy brand or another without understanding proper bike fit or what they are buying.

A 'frame size' nowadays is not an exact measurement from brand to brand, the head tube and top tube length are more important than the 'nominal size' on the label.
As I said previously, you will get used to most things, it may not be dangerous, or damaging but it may affect performance.
In a perfect world anyone who says they have to shorten the stem by 3 cm is making a compromise on fit.
I see too many people who have a lovely bike bought on line or 2nd hand and when asked how can it be made more comfortable etc there's only one answer ....Sorry, Its the wrong size!
Maybe I just have higher standard than some?

Anyway this isn't helping the OP but good luck to him.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You seem to be saying for any individual there is only one perfect length of stem, and in effect, only one frame geometry that will give the individual the perfect bike for them. What is the optimal stem length for any one individual and how do you calculate it?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
The bloke i spoke to in the Giant store in Eastish London told me "you won't notice a thing unless you drop by about an inch".
not true. i dropped by 10mm and changed back immediately…

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Well my two different stems arrived this week and this morning I had a fettle :okay:

The 80mm has been fitted and on a quick test ride, feels much better in terms of reach (I must have arms like T-Rex :biggrin:) and the steering/compliance is still spot on. I'm off out on a longer ride tomorrow so it will get a full assessment then.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated in helping lift the veil of mystery for me :okay:

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Pleased to say that on today's ride out with the new stem in place, yes, it felt slightly different steering wise but not in a negative way. Overall it felt better with my riding position and it must have been OK as I managed to get a few new PRs on Strava :okay: :smile:

craig kennedy

I am a geek
I think I need to do the same, my stem is 100mm presently and I am pretty sure I am still over reaching, sore shoulders and tingling fingers. Im going to try and find a cheap (very cheap) 80mm one to try out.

vickster

Legendary Member
How tall are you and how big is the bike?. Have you shifted the saddle position, what type of seatpost is it, inline or layback!

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
I think I need to do the same, my stem is 100mm presently and I am pretty sure I am still over reaching, sore shoulders and tingling fingers. Im going to try and find a cheap (very cheap) 80mm one to try out.

Once you've got the bike set up correctly as @vickster says, then take a look at the stem length.

The one I bought, link above is spot on and quality appears good too.

craig kennedy

I am a geek
I am 6'1" tall, and I think the bike is 54cm, which I realize may be too small, but I cant afford to simply change it so have to live with it. When I got the bike I never considered any sizes.

The seat post is normal, not lay back, and if I move the seat forward a little it does help but it still feels wrong, just not sure why, and no I cannot afford to pay someone to set me up correctly, this is for pleasure and fitness not for speed trials.
I have read and seen so many videos of the correct position, slight bend in the arms is what I have been seeing, and I know my arms are pretty much straight with next to no bend in them, but I also think my feet, and the bend in my leg is ok, suggesting the seat is also in relatively the right place, and during the L2B cycle I was trying to see if I wiggles when cycling and I was not, so I think no wiggle is good (I think) and thus the seat height must also be right, leaving only the handle bars as the issue.

They feel too far away for comfort, so either they need to come up a little or come towards me a little?

Im only trying to be logical here.

Top Bottom