Which tablet do you carry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am looking for a tablet to carry when touring. I have an i pad but it doesnt like Garmin or Blurb and doesnt have a slot for my camera memory card. In fact there are a lot of things I would like to download but the i pad wont allow.

I am looking for a cheap alternative. Any suggestions?

Steve

Archeress

Veteran
Paracetamol

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm not sure there is a cheap tablet that will do everything you ask, there needs to be compromise somewhere. Tablets sometimes have a micro sd slot and the power cable can double as a USB port. Personally I would leave the camera at home and bring a smartphone with built in camera.

Archeress

Veteran
I'm not sure there is a cheap tablet that will do everything you ask, there needs to be compromise somewhere. Tablets sometimes have a micro sd slot and the power cable can double as a USB port. Personally I would leave the camera at home and bring a smartphone with built in camera.

Despite my facetious comment earlier I have been thinking too. I agree that most tablets will only accept a micro SD. If you really want to take a camera, then you could use a micro SD in your camera using the converter... making it work just like a traditional SD card. With my Samsung Galaxy Tab, I have a little device that gives me a standard USB port and then have a normal USB SD card reader (not a multi card reader). Both these devices are small and lightweight and can be carried in the case with the tablet. I also have a bluetooth keyboard that clips onto the tablet, it is made of aluminium and armours the screen when travelling with it.

Of course, the other option is something like the galaxy note. This would combine your phone and tablet. The screens are very good and large enough for most things, and of course you would be able to get on the net wherever you can get a phone signal, whereas with my Galaxy Tab, I have to make a wifi network with my phone then connect to that. With the Galaxy Note you can still use the micro SD in your camera and then pop it into your Note to upload.

The final option if your camera supports it is an eye-fi SD card for your camera, which sends your photos to a wifi enabled device.

Hugs
Archeress x

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
There is a cable you can buy that allows you to transfer pics to your iPad; I have one myself!
Although, I'm not a big fan of the iPad. Or as someone said before, bluetooth.

Linford

Despite my facetious comment earlier I have been thinking too. I agree that most tablets will only accept a micro SD. If you really want to take a camera, then you could use a micro SD in your camera using the converter... making it work just like a traditional SD card. With my Samsung Galaxy Tab, I have a little device that gives me a standard USB port and then have a normal USB SD card reader (not a multi card reader). Both these devices are small and lightweight and can be carried in the case with the tablet. I also have a bluetooth keyboard that clips onto the tablet, it is made of aluminium and armours the screen when travelling with it.

Of course, the other option is something like the galaxy note. This would combine your phone and tablet. The screens are very good and large enough for most things, and of course you would be able to get on the net wherever you can get a phone signal, whereas with my Galaxy Tab, I have to make a wifi network with my phone then connect to that. With the Galaxy Note you can still use the micro SD in your camera and then pop it into your Note to upload.

The final option if your camera supports it is an eye-fi SD card for your camera, which sends your photos to a wifi enabled device.

Hugs
Archeress x

Have you got the Tab or Tab2 and if so, which one ?

pawl

Legendary Member
Paracetamol
Beat me to it.

I have used WiFi SD cards for some years which has solved any issues of transferring photos, and a Wireless Hard Drive seems to sort out most other issues with uploading and downloading files.

I currently use the Transcend WiFISD and the Seagate Wireless plus drive.

There is little or no problem transferring between MAC, Windows, Ipad, Iphone, The Galaxy S or the KIndle Fire.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I am looking for a tablet to carry when touring. I have an i pad but it doesnt like Garmin or Blurb and doesnt have a slot for my camera memory card. In fact there are a lot of things I would like to download but the i pad wont allow.

I am looking for a cheap alternative. Any suggestions?
Camera connection kit for the iPad. Allows you to connect the camera by USB or the SD card itself. Doesn't solve Garmin though.

All other tablets use microSD cards and you'd need a different adaptor for using normal SD's. 7" Samsung Galaxys are under £200 now.

If you are touring then unnecessary weight and bulk should be avoided:
Buy some extra SD cards and leave the tablet behind.
Pre-load the Garmin with routes and take a map with you.
Leave the camera and the tablet behind and use your phone camera (unless it's rubbish).

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Personally my HTC desire s cellphone does all I need it to on a tour. It's small, has a great camera, music, internet, text, hell I can even phone people from it. I'm trying to think what it doesnt do that a tablet does???????

It does everything bigger, so it is easier to see. ?:laugh:

Archeress

Veteran
Have you got the Tab or Tab2 and if so, which one ?
I have the Tab 2 10.1. It was an xmas present last year. I have packed it on a bike on one occaision, but wouldnt have been confident without the aluminium keyboard screen protection.

Hugs
Archeress x

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
It does everything bigger, so it is easier to see. ?:laugh:

Yes there is that...and there were times on the bike when that was important, especially taking pictures in the bright sunlight where the screen is as good as invisable at times. But I got used to it very quickly...well very quickly after much cursing...these days I can type a message on it almost as fast as I can on my laptop keyboard and I have big hands.

Top Bottom