Which tablet do you carry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Netbook/Ultrabook would work, BUT they are bigger and heavier than 10" tablets. Do you REALLY need to take the tablet/a computer? Garmins will store a lot of ride data and extra SD cards take up a tiny amount of space.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
But I may want to plot and download routes when I get to my destination instead of doing it before I leave home. So I need a tablet that will work with my Garmin.

Steve

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Only windows or Mac will fully support a garmin, although I've successfully used a garmin 800 with Ubuntu Linux. A Garmin 810 has bluetooth and can be accessed from a mobile.

I've just tried my garmin 800 in my Samsung tab 3 and it doesn't recognise it, not even as a USB drive.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Do garmin provide an app to connect with the surface RT? It's windows but not necessarily compatible with win 32 legacy applications.
Its a browser extension, so I think it would still work. I'll see if I can liberate one from our display and try it :smile:

bigjim

Legendary Member
Can somebody explain why they need to be typing on tour? I can't see it. I understand why one would make notes of their journey, but I have a tiny notebook for this and a small pencil. If I want electronic notes my blackberrry serves me well.
Just reading all the suggestions about keyboards, laptops, tablets, netbooks seems to be a complicated expensive process compared to a little notebook that you can scribble in and even make sketches. On one tour I printed my maps out with one side blank and used this as a notepad. Worked very well.
Oh and nobody wants to nick it.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Its nothing to do with taking notes Jim.

If I take a small PC I can plan routes and download them to my Garmin. I can of course take a map, which I do but i like having the routes on the GPS. I could plan a weeks worth of riding before I left home and have the rides loaded onto the GPS. But I dont like to plan that far ahead.

I also like to create my books as I travel and a PC helps me with that.

There is also a lot of other valuable information on a PC that is not usually available in tourist offices, if you can find one.

Steve

bigjim

Legendary Member
Fair enough and everybody to their own.
I'm more into trying to simplify my life to be honest. I'm maybe a bit of a luddite [say's the guy typing on a laptop] but I try and tour as light as possible and I can't get my head around the laptop on tour thing.
I don't find much spare time on tour, what with riding, map reading, swearing at the garmin, eating, talking nonsense to locals and daydreaming.:smile:

I can see stevein Denmark's point about planning routes and getting them on the GPS (currently looking to do this with a Hudl if it is/becomes possible) but in Spirit I'm with bigjim. Isn't the whole point of being on the bike about getting away from it?

I do know the odd example of folk sitting in tents updating forum blogs about what they are doing - er, you're sitting in a tent typing.

And as for planning the next day's leg of a trip I find I can do this by using a Garmin with a paper map - putting waypoints at certain places and then getting the Garmin to guide me between them - if you do this carefuly you can make it go the way you want.

Perfect thing to do sittng in the sun of an evening with a beer or with a cup of tea in the tent.

This comes to you on a new laptop I've been struggling with becaase of Msoft shoot - I certainly wouldn't want to go through all of this on a bike trip.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Some friends of mine set off on an epic tour of the world last June and are about half way round. They've got a Garmin, netbook, phones and ipods - possibly a Kindle, though not sure about that. Means a lot to them and their family that they're able to stay in touch with loved ones and being able to Skype, blog and Facebook when they can access free WiFi certainly keeps the costs down. And the Garmin and netbook weigh a lot less than all the maps they'd need to carry!

Top Bottom