Why are some people so friggin useless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
There you go chum

right, what has cycle track racing got that , say, skiing hasn't got?
Both are a race. Skiing is in fact LESS pointless as you end up in a differnet place to where you start, and therefore could technically be used as a means of travel.

Even backgammon is a race, why is going endlessly round and round the same track NOT pointless but backgammon is ...?? :ohmy:

unless you want to just admit now that your ratings are COMPLETELY and utterly irrational....

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
Joe24 said:
Yes but Bonj, what is the point in smacking a little rubber ball at a wall?

If you eat more then 6 rabbits a day(or is it a week:wacko:) you will die
its only if you eat nothin but rabbits you will die ie no veg or any thing like that

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
right, what has cycle track racing got that , say, skiing hasn't got?
Both are a race. Skiing is in fact LESS pointless as you end up in a differnet place to where you start, and therefore could technically be used as a means of travel.

Even backgammon is a race, why is going endlessly round and round the same track NOT pointless but backgammon is ...?? :biggrin:

unless you want to just admit now that your ratings are COMPLETELY and utterly irrational....

Skiing: Sliding down the side of a mountain with some sticks strapped to your feet, then you get pulled back up again.
Where is the point in that? Its like standing on an escalator down stairs, then just getting a lift up. The only effort you put in is when you start and you try your hardest not to fall over.
Its not a means of travel at all.
Backgammon? What do you get out of that? Nothing! And you know it Bonj. Although it isnt as pointless, you have to put abit of thought in, but still not much.

Arch

Married to Night Train
For god's sake. All sport is pointless, just as all art, film making, TV, theatre etc is pointless, unless you count the point of people enjoying watching, or doing, it. Classing one or other as more pointless is... pointless.

Joe24

Arch said:
For god's sake. All sport is pointless, just as all art, film making, TV, theatre etc is pointless, unless you count the point of people enjoying watching, or doing, it. Classing one or other as more pointless is... pointless.

Arch, your a hypocrit and you shall join the many others in the abyss in the courner of my shed!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Why am I a hypocrite? I'm just pointing out that since the only point of those things is that people enjoy them, any discussion on the relative pointlessness is really quite irrelevant. How is that hypocritical? I don't recall ever claiming that any sport had more point than any other?

Joe24

You said that classing one thing that someone enjoys as pointless is pointless.
So your saying that my classification list is pointless. Well i enjoy my classification list, its taken me many years of thought to come up with the classifications of many of the sports.
So, you saying what i do is pointless makes you a hypocrit. Face the facts Arch.
Is it because i offended one of your chosen 'sports'?
I suppose your posy of followers wil be along soon;)

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Skiing: Sliding down the side of a mountain with some sticks strapped to your feet, then you get pulled back up again.
But: Downhill MTBing: Sliding down the side of a mountain with some sticks a bike strapped to your feet, then you get pulled back up again.
Skiing is essentially the same as downhill MTBing, except with a different accessory strapped to you in order to help you get down the mountain.
Why is one pointless, but the other not?
And think very carefully Joe before you say:
'because one can be ridden up again and the other can't' :biggrin::biggrin:

Joe24 said:
Where is the point in that? Its like standing on an escalator down stairs, then just getting a lift up. The only effort you put in is when you start and you try your hardest not to fall over.
er... there are bends! in case you haven't noticed! Have you ever watched skiing on telly?

Joe24 said:
Its not a means of travel at all.
Tell that to James Bond.

Joe24 said:
Backgammon? What do you get out of that? Nothing! And you know it Bonj. Although it isnt as pointless, you have to put abit of thought in, but still not much.

It is a race. You have to get your pieces round to your side of the board quicker than the opponent can get theirs round to their side.

Joe24

Downhill mountainbiking is not just sliding down a mountain though is it? You have to put more effort in.
Skiing, you just turn slightly, theres not as much skill as there is in downhill mountainbiking.
Skiing is not transport, cross country skiing, thats a form of transport, like running.
Backgammon, stupid game. You know it is. Stop being an old fart

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Downhill mountainbiking is not just sliding down a mountain though is it? You have to put more effort in.
Skiing, you just turn slightly, theres not as much skill as there is in downhill mountainbiking.
maybe not quite as much but there is skill in it.
If you think it's that easy go and do it, and come back with a gold medal from the winter olympics!

And why is how much point there is in it directly proportional to the skill in it?

Joe24

bonj said:
maybe not quite as much but there is skill in it.
If you think it's that easy go and do it, and come back with a gold medal from the winter olympics!

And why is how much point there is in it directly proportional to the skill in it?

Oh, lots.

Top Bottom