Why do people ride in (sometimes) large groups/clubs ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
we've had a lot of new club members this year.

So have a lot of clubs this year. I have noticed this summer that there are more club riding cyclists/groups out on the road then I can ever remember. Club riding has certainly hit a purple patch at the moment.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't imagine anything worse! But then I have no intention of racing. Much of my riding is busy roads, group riding skills aren't of much use in that environment

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can't imagine anything worse! But then I have no intention of racing. Much of my riding is busy roads, group riding skills aren't of much use in that environment
That depends how busy the roads get with cyclists now things are surging. I found group riding skills rather useful at the RideLondon FreeCycle, but that was more a combination of bunch position-keeping, being able to anticipate/make-space for others and the rather blunt/blatent hand signals I use riding in Lynn and Cambridge. I'm not sure how useful having ridden in a paceline would have been and I don't think the CTC or British Cycling hand signals like pointing across my back would have been understood! :laugh:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I mainly joined a club so I could do time trials. But I do enjoy the occasional chain gang. I find it nerve-wracking at first, but once you get into the zone it's a thrill. I also enjoy the social aspect of a club. You get to learn from experienced people.

I don't enjoy club runs so much, but that's mainly because I'm time poor and find it frustrating waiting around at the cafe stop.

vickster

Legendary Member
That depends how busy the roads get with cyclists now things are surging. I found group riding skills rather useful at the RideLondon FreeCycle, but that was more a combination of bunch position-keeping, being able to anticipate/make-space for others and the rather blunt/blatent hand signals I use riding in Lynn and Cambridge. I'm not sure how useful having ridden in a paceline would have been and I don't think the CTC or British Cycling hand signals like pointing across my back would have been understood! :laugh:
Yes but commuters aren't riding as a group, many of the London ones I've encountered are awful and pay little attention to other cyclists...MGIF...bit like commuters in cars! And there is no traffic during the Freecycle, just cyclists including kids

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes but commuters aren't riding as a group, many of the London ones I've encountered are awful and pay little attention to other cyclists...MGIF...bit like commuters in cars! And there is no traffic during the Freecycle!
Yes, you probably ride in London more often than I do and in different parts. In central London, I often seem to end up riding in an informal group, like I do in Cambridge or peak-time Lynn, but I was surprised heading down the scarily minimalist CS7 to Stockwell(? I think) last autumn just how much MGIF seemed still alive and well among cyclists there! Where's the love and cameraderie? ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep my route is CS7. I'll no longer use it in rush hour. I'll be glad to get back to my old Sutton-Epsom run when I change job next month

I don't want to ride in any group, formal or informal, unless I'm marshalling for the local LCC group as I have done for Freecycle and similar

I think it would be interesting to know how long those joining a club have been riding a bike. imo for many it would seem the next step of doing the 'bike' thing.

Out of interest, in what way and how are they dealing with it?
This is from another forum Ian, but I have also employed this tactic. The reported incidents generally follow these lines, one or more sit in doing as little as possible then without warning they will suddenly come out of the bunch and race for a segment. The leader of the club run will then take the first available turn leaving the segment chasers wondering where everyone went. When I used to lead rides in Cambridge before Strava came along there were occasional hot heads who had something to prove who would do the same thing so the tactic of isolating them isn't a new one, it seems like it is being employed more often these days.
I am sure club rides are not for everyone, however if you have any aspirations to ride a road bike properly give it a try, most clubs now have rides of differing average speeds that will suit plodders to racing snakes. Club runs are not competitive, they are social and apart from the racing group will have a cafe stop.

Citius

This is from another forum Ian, but I have also employed this tactic. The reported incidents generally follow these lines, one or more sit in doing as little as possible then without warning they will suddenly come out of the bunch and race for a segment. The leader of the club run will then take the first available turn leaving the segment chasers wondering where everyone went. When I used to lead rides in Cambridge before Strava came along there were occasional hot heads who had something to prove who would do the same thing so the tactic of isolating them isn't a new one, it seems like it is being employed more often these days.

Shouting "tosser!" at them repeatedly as they race off also has a similar effect....

What do you mean by riding a roadbike properly? :wacko:
Like any other skill in life, there is a right way and a wrong way or, if you prefer an efficient way and an inefficient way. But we are steering the subject off course. I will finish by saying, the quicker you want to go the more important it is, but even for pootlers relatively small changes could make a big difference.

Top Bottom