Why do people ride in (sometimes) large groups/clubs ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
for instance how many times have you seen someone on a bike with the saddle too low / high and tyres without enough air in them, or grinding along at 30 rpm in the wrong gear?
Quite often! In fact, I overtook such a rider a couple of days ago. He was struggling up a 4% climb in something like a 53/15 gear, his knees stuck way out, and his wheel rims almost grinding on the road. I so wanted to say something helpful, but decided not to having had "*&%# off and mind your own business" shouted at me the last time I tried it!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I feel those posts clearly implied ALL groups are like that by jumping to such conclusions as:

"something with which I don't want to be associated. So I stick to riding with a good buddy or two and my son"

"the experience but me right off"

Some groups are nobbers. I say name and shame them and see if their governors care - then at least anyone searching CycleChat in future might get some warning before riding with them. I hope few groups misbehave, but there will probably always be some. Don't let one bad group put you off looking for better ones if you want to ride socially.
I think part of the issue is if you come across one of the clubs that is aggressive (Gemini in Kent I'm looking at you) then you are unlikely to bother repeating the experience therefore in your experience (or mine in this case) ALL groups are like that. I do know of people who have gained a lot from being a member of a road club but just one day (and the response from club officials when I wrote to them) convinced me that a road club is not for me.

On another point, along with a sense of humour if you're going to do long rides (200 miles plus) you need to be aware of how your colleagues handle tiredness. They might be incredibly witty and friendly when you meet up for 60 miles but after 200 over night with no sleep, they may become the grouchiest person in the world.

Why on earth would I want to have to be sociable when riding a bike? Sounds horrendous to me.

Might make a sticker.

"Cyclists, stay back, I don't want to talk to you"

Quite often! In fact, I overtook such a rider a couple of days ago. He was struggling up a 4% climb in something like a 53/15 gear, his knees stuck way out, and his wheel rims almost grinding on the road. I so wanted to say something helpful, but decided not to having had "*&%# off and mind your own business" shouted at me the last time I tried it!
The way we sometimes get around this is to make general conversation if they are going the same way, often the chat will get around to bikes and they ask about the ones we are riding
[just to make it clear we are not arrogant roadies who ride around with all the latest gear, in fact the sum total of the cost of both our bikes that we normally ride is £620], and we have given advice only if the person has been receptive. Not at all like the internet where facial expressions and nuances are missing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I do know of people who have gained a lot from being a member of a road club but just one day (and the response from club officials when I wrote to them) convinced me that a road club is not for me.
This fascinates me: why does this overgeneralisation happen? Is it related to the "all cyclists jump red lights" phenomenon that seems common in the wider UK population? If you've not yet found a group you like, do you see group riders as "other" and lump them all together?

martint235

Dog on a bike
This fascinates me: why does this overgeneralisation happen? Is it related to the "all cyclists jump red lights" phenomenon that seems common in the wider UK population? If you've not yet found a group you like, do you see group riders as "other" and lump them all together?
Not really. I just see them as "not me". Having spent 5 hours cycling around Kent with some of the most unfriendly and aggressive riders I've come across, I don't see any point in wasting another 5 hours to find out whether or not another group are different.

RLJing is just a blindspot. Everyone, everyday has first hand experience of seeing a cyclist stop at a red light. I don't have first hand experience of a decent road club (I'm excluding the Fridays for obvious reasons)

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't see any point in wasting another 5 hours to find out whether or not another group are different.
The point would be that riding with a good group that suits you really can be fun, as many have mentioned. I wouldn't start by going on a 5 hour ride with a group though, because I think it's a good sign if a group offers fairly short introduction rides, but then that's a sign the sort of group that I like, which might not be what others want.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Well yes, I wouldn't recommend anyone keeps going back to a group they've tried and disliked!

martint235

Dog on a bike
The point would be that riding with a good group that suits you really can be fun, as many have mentioned. I wouldn't start by going on a 5 hour ride with a group though, because I think it's a good sign if a group offers fairly short introduction rides, but then that's a sign the sort of group that I like, which might not be what others want.
This is where the personal experience again comes into it. I've only once ridden with a group of riders where I didn't enjoy the experience in any way shape or form and that was the only time I rode with road club. I'm often to be found out and about with the Fridays or with other people from CC doing stupidly long rides over many hours.

The Gemini ride I went on was (I think) their 2nd tier one. I explained what I aimed to achieve (LEL, frequent 100 milers etc plus my experience of 200+ mile rides). The condescension was fairly stunning, I hate to think how a rider is treated on an introductory ride.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There is still an old school of thought that you have to suffer an "apprenticeship" if you want to be part of the gang. This is found in all walks of life, not just sport. Having gone through a few myself I disagree that the best way to train somebody is to humiliate them and make them suffer; in my book older more experienced people need to remember their own early days and treat newcomers with sensitivity and good humour, helping them to get comfortable and proficient as quickly as possible so that they can enjoy the activity. Really; the worst thing you can do to any newbie or child is humiliate them.

Top Bottom