Why do people ride in (sometimes) large groups/clubs ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Shouting "tosser!" at them repeatedly as they race off also has a similar effect....
Doesn't your ride leader have their pump clipped to the downtube ready to put through the spokes of anyone who dares overtake them? ;)

Was that a reply to me? I have no idea what you mean
I understand that through-and-off is a style of paceline riding, if that was the problem with the phrase. (Why do I feel like I should now ask if the nickname "Gazza" is a reference to an opera?)

I am sure club rides are not for everyone, however if you have any aspirations to ride a road bike properly give it a try, most clubs now have rides of differing average speeds that will suit plodders to racing snakes.
Or there are entirely different sorts of less bigoted clubs that don't expect you "to ride a road bike properly" :tongue: Pogo around on your full-sus MTB (I've seen that on a group ride) if you like. Set off a flashing speed number sign on a recumbent (that too). Ride backwards sat on the handlebars of a hybrid (not yet). As long as you don't crash into anyone else in the group, freewheelers won't care. Just have fun!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Riding within the spirit of a group ride?
Why do you need to do that if cycling alone or with just one or two others?

vickster

Legendary Member
Like any other skill in life, there is a right way and a wrong way or, if you prefer an efficient way and an inefficient way. But we are steering the subject off course. I will finish by saying, the quicker you want to go the more important it is, but even for pootlers relatively small changes could make a big difference.
Why does it matter, ok if you want to race fine, but not if you just want to ride a bike for exercise, commuting, enjoyment, transport etc. I can't see how riding with a fast moving group does that, I don't shout pothole to myself, or car up or whatever other things pelotons do.

I think you mean race (be it against others or yourself or strava or whatever) rather than ride ultimately

mjr

... I don't shout pothole to myself, or car up or whatever other things pelotons do.

I think you mean race (be it against others or yourself or strava or whatever) rather than ride ultimately
I often signal potholes and glass to others when I'm riding on my own, even if I don't know them. It's just polite, like waving or saying hello as you pass ;)

Some posts do make me feel like there must be racing clubs who ride along chanting "there is no riding but racing and Cavendish is the messenger of racing" or something like that, but I've not confirmed that yet :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Riding a bike is about freedom - I like to ride my bike, I like to ride it where I like.

The problem with roadie groups is there are far too many rules, and far too many expectations on how you should behave.

I ride with a Sunday morning group, mostly middle aged men and women on flat bar bikes.

None of us need to be told how to ride in a group, most of the members are more experienced than me and have done the usual selection of longer rides - coast to coast, coast and castles and LEJOG.

Riding in an informal group is great fun.

I liken it to a mobile party, because you are never stuck in the kitchen.

You can exchange a few words with one rider, then move up or down a bit to vary the company.

Or you can ride on your own for a few miles.

Of course, the two types of riding are not mutually exclusive.

I enjoy group rides and solo rides.

MiK1138

Veteran
I ride in a group mainly due to motivation, i get bored when riding myself
Shouting "tosser!" at them repeatedly as they race off also has a similar effect....
The Group I ride with meet up and then split into 2 groups the Strava Chasers and the toddlers we'll regroup again further up the road and generally ride back to the start point as 1 group

outlash

also available in orange
The club I used to ride with varied quite a lot in terms what groups did, especially as the influx of newer riders became a torrent. I usually ended up sticking with a medium pace group diverting off for a cafe stop mid-ride (club runs in this club don't have them normally) and while it was a quick enough pace, no one got dropped and it was a nice morning's ride. Unfortunately, the Strava segment chasers and people who saw it as a weekly sportive got more numerous and the will wasn't there to sort it out, so I stopped riding with them and apart from a couple of mates who I ride with, I'm happier on my own.
Saying that, a good group ride, be it informal and relaxed or more of a chaingang, can be a beautiful thing.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've tried going out with groups and been embarrassed by the aggression shown by some cyclists towards drivers; really unnecessary and something with which I don't want to be associated. So I stick to riding with a good buddy or two and my son, @SamR

mjr

I've tried going out with groups and been embarrassed by the aggression shown by some cyclists towards drivers; really unnecessary and something with which I don't want to be associated.
Name and shame?

I'm pretty sure our group would rein in such things. I more often show exasperation than aggression, particularly when a Motor Parts Direct van overtaking on a blind bend put one of our riders into the verge. I mean what the heck? We were on a small unclassified road with almost no houses on it and definitely no motor mechanics on it and if he wanted to go faster and not wait a few seconds to overtake cycles or tractors, there's a B road parallel. :rolleyes:

Ed Phelan

I too went out with a group in the south of England and I too was surprised by the aggression shown by some of them towards car drivers. As Globalti says, it isn't something that I want to be associated with and it is completely unnecessary. I only gave it a go because I was interested to see how much I could push myself in a group but the experience but me right off!

Ed

Top Bottom