Why ride in the middle of the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

My old Dad drives up the middle of the road. His old paper licence said "tear down dotted line" so that's exactly what he does.

Did you nick him ?^_^

nappadang

Über Member
Whatever happened to those public awareness films they used to make. The ones that used to get the point over but also stick in your mind forever.
They would be useful for getting all manner of messages across.

you know the ones I mean:

"Look theres a man in a dingy Mildred"

"Yes dear"

" OOOh look, he´s waving at us. Coooey, Cooey, lovely day int it?"

"HELP....dial 999 and ask for the coastguard".

"Well, I never".

Im far too young to remember this....

I'm sure her name was Petunia.

nappadang

Über Member
You mean ...

Brilliant, brings back so many memories. (rerun memories, obviously)

Conversation at work in fairly busy staff room.....

Him: "You held me up by cycling in the middle of the road, I could not overtake"

Me: "Where was that?"

Him: "On the approach road"

Me: " You mean the approach road to the Hospital entrance where I was travelling at 10 mph in a 10 mph limit? You shouldn't be overtaking anyway"

Him: "You still shouldn't be in the middle of the road"

Me: " You are unaware of the "Primary position" when approaching a junction, especially a right turn then?"

Him: "Doesn't matter, you still shouldn't be in the middle of the road"

Me (crossing to Computer) " This is the Institute of Advanced Motorists website..... It is really of some concern that you are unaware of such basic driving, perhaps you should read this?"

Walks off leaving website on screen....

Cyclists are advised to take a prominent position in the road well ahead of any manoeuvre to ensure
they are in the right place at the right time. If they ride in the middle of the road it is probably not to
obstruct your path, but to ensure that they are seen by you and by other motorists.
Cyclists often rideat some distance from the kerb to avoid drains and potholes and to discourage motorists from
squeezing them on narrow roads.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
Me: " You mean the approach road to the Hospital entrance where I was travelling at 10 mph in a 10 mph limit? You shouldn't be overtaking anyway"

In my town centre, its all a 20mph limit. I love holding 20 & Primary. when people moan, I tell them, they are on camera and that I am cycling at the speed limit. Most soon shut up.

You showed great restraint. Most people would have just said "eff off you nobber."

I just enjoy being reasonable!

I have a reputation to maintain

I often get complete strangers arriving in the department who have been sent up because I am ' The Bloke in Imaging who cycles everywhere" and their staff want routes, advice, repairs etc they are sent up to me.

Mrs M

Guru
Whatever happened to those public awareness films they used to make. The ones that used to get the point over but also stick in your mind forever.
They would be useful for getting all manner of messages across.

you know the ones I mean:

"Look theres a man in a dingy Mildred"

"Yes dear"

" OOOh look, he´s waving at us. Coooey, Cooey, lovely day int it?"

"HELP....dial 999 and ask for the coastguard".

"Well, I never".

Here's Mike, "ello", he swims like a fish, also "Charlie says"
And "clunk click"
Remember them well!

Top Bottom