Witnessed a motorbike crash today while on my bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
addictfreak said:
Speed if often the cause, motorists look one way then the other and pull out. Trouble is that motorcycles are moving so fast they are on you before you know it.
Both parties have a responsilbility.

But it wasn't in this case so why mention it?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Time of year. I think we all get a little dozy as autumn draws in. From now till Christmas the streets of London will be paved with motorcycle fragments.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
In these wet and drizzly days the slippery surfaces on metal covers are an unnecessary hazard- the sensation of a tyre losing grip on a bend is unpleasant.

This is unrelated to the OP and I apologise for that but why don't manufacturers of manhole covers coat them with a carborundum or similarly grippy rough surface?

....just me?..... :wacko:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Archie_tect said:
In these wet and drizzly days the slippery surfaces on metal covers are an unnecessary hazard- the sensation of a tyre losing grip on a bend is unpleasant.

This is unrelated to the OP and I apologise for that but why don't manufacturers of manhole covers coat them with a carborundum or similarly grippy rough surface?

....just me?..... :wacko:
you can coat them with carborundum paint (used for stairs), but it costs money.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I suppose that they don't think it's worth it otherwise I'm sure there would be a BS or EN by now forcing manufacturers to coat them... aw well! :wacko:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Aw well, indeed. Writes the man who slid on one and fractured his pelvis. So, now, when specifying manholes covers..........

levad

Veteran
Rigid Raider said:
I wonder how fast the biker was going? I rode motorbikes for 12 years and never had an accident but came close a few times, always due to excess speed and always out on country rides.

Don't they say that 90% of accidents happen within a couple of miles of home or something?

I think I may have to move house then!

beancounter

My major motorbike accident happened about half a mile from home :smile:

Came off at fairly low speed but hit the kerb with my hip.

At first it appeared I'd merely dislocated my hip but x-rays showed why - the hip socket was completely shattered.

Thankfully a very skilled surgeon bolted it back together.

bc

A close friend of mine had a very serious RTA about 6 months ago on my bike.

A car driver decided to do a U/turn in front of us on a NSL (on solid white lines). He used the entrance of a T junction to get a greater swing, but this obscured his vision as he did it.

He was convicted of driving with undue care a couple of weeks ago, fined £500 with £70 costs and 6 points. The normal fine is between £100-£200 and a bird told me that as it was on the upper scale of the punishment offered if the charge of dangerous driving were leveled, it would have stuck.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Just a query - should the chap have taken his helmet off? I know he was conscious and presumably felt his neck was ok, but I'd have thought in the immediate aftermath pain might simply be masked by adrenalin and it would be better to leave it on until an expert arrived. I know if the guy had been in need of CPR, then it would have to come off, but in this case, I'd have been concerned about it being removed.... This is all based on the little I've heard on TV safety films and so on, so I'm genuinely interested. You never know when you might need to know....

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Arch said:
Just a query - should the chap have taken his helmet off? I know he was conscious and presumably felt his neck was ok, but I'd have thought in the immediate aftermath pain might simply be masked by adrenalin and it would be better to leave it on until an expert arrived. I know if the guy had been in need of CPR, then it would have to come off, but in this case, I'd have been concerned about it being removed.... This is all based on the little I've heard on TV safety films and so on, so I'm genuinely interested. You never know when you might need to know....

Ideally he should have kept the helmet on until checked over but at the end of the day if the rider wants to take it off there is only so much you can do to prevent them from doing so.

Arch

Married to Night Train
4F said:
Ideally he should have kept the helmet on until checked over but at the end of the day if the rider wants to take it off there is only so much you can do to prevent them from doing so.

Well yes, I agree that sitting on his arms to stop him might have been counterproductive...

Globalti

Legendary Member
From 12 years of mcycling I can tell you that manhole covers are less of a hazard than those tar strips they leave along the edges of road repairs. I hit one of those once accelerating away from a junction in the rain and the rear tyre spun, putting me into a major tank-slapper. Terrifying.

If the rider takes it off themself, then you can't stop them, but better to advise them to undo the strap, but not remove the lid. They could have a spinal injury or the lid could be holding their head together..

The same applies to clothing, it could be holding them together, so better to leave it in place till the ambulance arrives. Just made sure they can breath properly.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Rigid Raider said:
From 12 years of mcycling I can tell you that manhole covers are less of a hazard than those tar strips they leave along the edges of road repairs. I hit one of those once accelerating away from a junction in the rain and the rear tyre spun, putting me into a major tank-slapper. Terrifying.
What, pray, is a tank-slapper?

Top Bottom