Witnessed a motorbike crash today while on my bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Just a query - should the chap have taken his helmet off? I know he was conscious and presumably felt his neck was ok, but I'd have thought in the immediate aftermath pain might simply be masked by adrenalin and it would be better to leave it on until an expert arrived. I know if the guy had been in need of CPR, then it would have to come off, but in this case, I'd have been concerned about it being removed.... This is all based on the little I've heard on TV safety films and so on, so I'm genuinely interested. You never know when you might need to know....

Yes, the helmet was alright to come off. He was claustrophobic enough stuck in that hedge and it was clear his shoulders and neck were fine and hadn't been hit in any way so he was okay do go for it.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm just waiting for very-near to re-iterate his opinion that I am a twat, at least where motorbikes are concerned, or has his opinion changed since reading about my exploits with the rider yesterday?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
dellzeqq said:
What, pray, is a tank-slapper?

A tank slapper is when the steering goes from one extreme to the other and back again - quickly and a number of times - slapping the handlebars (and your hands) against the fuel tank. Usually due to fast acceleration lightening the load on the front wheel and an uneven road surface. Quite a scary and sobering thing to happen at 70mph. Mark 1 Fireblades were reknowned for it. My 1999 900RRX has done it a few times, but I was ok, just ride through it.

ComedyPilot said:
A tank slapper is when the steering goes from one extreme to the other and back again - quickly and a number of times - slapping the handlebars (and your hands) against the fuel tank. Usually due to fast acceleration lightening the load on the front wheel and an uneven road surface. Quite a scary and sobering thing to happen at 70mph. Mark 1 Fireblades were reknowned for it. My 1999 900RRX has done it a few times, but I was ok, just ride through it.

Like this

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1srcQMa_0&feature=related

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
PaulB said:
I'm just waiting for very-near to re-iterate his opinion that I am a twat, at least where motorbikes are concerned, or has his opinion changed since reading about my exploits with the rider yesterday?

You have shown the capacity for compassion and a cool head when faced with a situation which nobody really wants to deal with. I faced it myself a few months ago, but I had the advantage that there were 3 doctors on the scene at the time of the accident (one following independently in her own car , and the driver who caused it and his wife)

I commend you sir, and offer my humble apology :laugh:

That's horrible, and I find it difficult to watch. Some of the comments are pathetic.

Most of the comments are by teenagers who have never faced a serious RTA. It makes you re-evaluate your own life and actions.

It is a very hard way to learn a lesson though :laugh:

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
You should do your utmost to persuade him to keep it on. Too often people want to jump up and 'be ok' before having a chance to check themselves out.

As others have said, the only reason for removing a helmet before a paramedic arrives is if the rider has stopped breathing.

A) You weren't there so shut it.
:angry: I am a medic.
C) It was coming off as I got there and his actions proved correct.
D) There is no D.
E) Carry on.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Rhythm Thief said:
Now - and be honest about this - would you adopt such a laissez - faire attitude if a cyclist had been the victim in the OP?
I'm not at all laissez-faire. I'm just struck by the increase in dozy driving (and cycling) as our brains can't quite get to grips with autumn.

Top Bottom