Working offspring living at home - board and lodgings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondering, those who have working age children in jobs who are still living at home with them. Do you ask them for any financial contribution towards their upkeep? What's a reasonable amount to ask?

LLB

I don't, but it depends on their income obviously. If they are earning £100 per week in their hand, I don't think that £25- £30 per week is unreasonable

wafflycat

I would if he was working & living at home. But he's at uni and living away, so I don't. If I were in that position, I'd be asking for a proportion of earnings, so that if it was a low-paid job I wasn't asking for a relatively huge sum. I do think it's important that offspring get an understanding of the fact it costs to live!

purplemoon

A third of wages paid in board, a third in savings and a third to spend :smile:

If you let them live at home too cheaply they never appreciate the real cost of living :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Not reached that point yet (thank goodness) but one day no doubt will. I think if I had a child (well adult son/daughter) at home who was working to save for first time buy then I would either want chores done as recompense for them living there or I would take their money and put it aside for when they really needed it. Assuming of course I continue to work meself that is. I worked out the other day that I will be 60 when my youngest finishes university. So potentially I could be on the verge of retirement and may need the money.

col

Legendary Member
When i was at home when i first started working i paid £15 a week on £55 take out,iv since learned that the normal amount on average is about a third of their wages,Which i think is a fair amount,unless they earn big money that is:biggrin:

U

User482

What you could do is take rent and put it into a savings account - then give it back if they want to buy a house in the future.

gavintc

Guru
User482 said:
What you could do is take rent and put it into a savings account - then give it back if they want to buy a house in the future.

I like that plan and will remember it when the problem arises. Currently. my son lives for free during the uni holidays, but he is required to earn £1000 in order to offset my 'bank of dad' subsidy when he is at uni. The agreement has worked well, we work out how much uni is likely to cost over the year, deduct £1000 and if he earns more - it is drinking and social money.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
my parents wouldn't dream of asking for rent, but then again I think they'd quite like it if i actually lived at home once in a while!

max_man

I'm the other side of this, as a working adult living with my mum (Dad past away last year so moved back save her being on her own)...I pay her £200 a month, she won't accept anymore.

yello

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer on this one, nor a set amount. I reckon it depends on the circumstances of the people involved. I don't really think it teaches offspring the value of money either, I think they know that already.

I reckon it boils down to whether the parents/guardians can afford it; other considerations start after that.

Top Bottom