Working offspring living at home - board and lodgings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beanzontoast
Thanks one and all for these suggestions. :wacko:

It's one of those things that can be hard to get right. I'd like to try the suggestion of acting as a savings bank for them without them knowing. I can see this won't happen to 100% of their contributions to the family coffers, the way living expenses are going up at present (feeding 4 adults on 2 wages etc) - but I think the gesture of giving them some money back when the time comes, knowing they need it and were not expecting it would be appreciated.

i think that its selfish the way that most teenagers think its their rigth to be kept by their parents, and piss their money up the wall, when at my first job, i payed, 35 pound (or a little extra if i did overtime) a week, when i started earning a little more, it went to 50 a week, when my partner moved in with us, we both paid 50 a week, and if i ever wanted particular food, etc, i would have to buy it myself. i think this is very fair in the real world.. and i still gave my mum extra every now and again, ordering her to get herself something nice, otherwise she'd spend it on me or another family member. I hope to give my son the same morals by the time he's that age.

surfgurl

The eldest is due to finish A levels next year and then wants to take a year out working and living at home before University. We will be charging a third of his wages or about £50 a week as rent and he will be expected to work.
At the moment he doesn't have a job having been sacked from the last one and the list of part time jobs he doesn't want to do is growing ever longer.
If we don't charge him rent when he finishes studying he will be living here forever rent free. We can't afford it.
Unfortunately he is also in the position of having two parents who only graduated 10 years ago. We are still paying of all our student debts.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i contributed 150 a month when i lived at home. well, i say i contributed, more like i was forced :biggrin:

no, seriously, i reckon it depends on the wage, but i'd go for about 20-30% (20% if they don't earn much, 30% if they earn quite good).

150 quid, man those were the days! now i realise i didn't know the meaning of broke!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My eldest has been at work for two years now and gives us £120 a month for housekeeping, rent, call it what you will. That is about 10% of his income. My daughter starts work tomorrow, full time. Her first months money will be hers, from then she will give us the same. I don't think there are any rules as to how much the kids should give over, as long as they accept that they should give something to the household budget.

radger

Veteran
When I was living at home six years ago, I paid £40/week, plus I did the garden and the cleaning, plus some cooking. I was working three part-time jobs, so was home quite a bit in the daytime, which helped with doing the stuff around the house.
If I wanted beer, I had to buy it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As an extra to my post above. When I first started work at 16, I was earning £12.50 a week, extra if I worked a saturday and sunday. I used to give my mum £5.00 a week. Money seemed to go a lot further then.

GrahamG

Guru
I used to pay about £150 and then buy all the food. Tended to be about £250 a month on average. This was from 2004-7

£50 per week plus chores was the deal when I lived at home. But we had done chores since we were nippers, so they were always included.

(and I mean REAL chores - digging potatoes, milking goats, feeding chickens and geese...kids these days don't know they're born)

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Twenty Inch said:
£50 per week plus chores was the deal when I lived at home. But we had done chores since we were nippers, so they were always included.

(and I mean REAL chores - digging potatoes, milking goats, feeding chickens and geese...kids these days don't know they're born)

Takes me back. Mine included mucking out :blush:, chopping firewood and breaking coal to fill the scuttle for the fire. As you say, bit different these days!

Top Bottom