World Track Cycling Championship 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skip Madness

It looks as though Eurosport will only be showing the evening sessions, and the same goes for BBC2. Does anyone know if the Red Button will be showing the afternoon sessions too? It does not appear to be scheduled but I hope so.

Here are the events by day:

Wednesday:
Women's 500m Time Trial
Men's Points Race
Women's Individual Pursuit
Men's Team Sprint

Thursday:
Men's Scratch Race
Women's Team Sprint
Men's Individual Pursuit
Women's Team Pursuit
Men's Keirin

Friday:
Men's Kilometre Time Trial
Women's Scratch Race
Men's Team Pursuit

Saturday:
Men's Madison
Women's Omnium
Women's Sprint

Sunday:
Women's Keirin
Women's Points Race
Men's Omnium
Men's Sprint

It seems to be poorly scheduled to me. I do not see why there are five events on Thursday but only three on Saturday - it would surely be more logical to have the two weekend days as the ones with the most events.

Surveying that list, Thursday and Sunday look like they are going to be the best days. There is an interesting article about Victoria Pendleton on The Guardian website, in which she talks about the possibility of moving to road racing if medal parity is not granted on the track at London 2012.

softpeadals

Wednesday 25 March
1900-2000, BBC Two and BBC Sport website
2000-2100, BBC Red Button and BBC Sport website
2320-0000, BBC Two and BBC Sport website
Thursday 26 March
2000-2045, BBC Red Button and BBC Sport website
2320-0000, BBC Two and BBC Sport website

Friday 27 March
2000-2045, BBC Red Button and BBC Sport website
2335-0015, BBC Two and BBC Sport website

Saturday 28 March
1915-2025, BBC Two and BBC Sport website

Sunday 29 March
1500-1700, BBC Two and BBC Sport website

Skip Madness

Yes, I am excited now. Although Eurosport's online guide only indicates coverage of the evening session, my Virgin box is saying that the afternoon session is also scheduled, starting at 1530.

Annoyingly, all of the team rosters that I can find do not say which specific events each rider will be taking part in, but here would be my guesses for the Brits today:

(EDIT - I have now found startlists by event here.)

500m:
Victoria Pendleton and Anna Blyth

Men's Points Race:
Chris Newton

Women's Individual Pursuit:
Wendy Houvenaghel and Jo Rowsell

Men's Team Sprint:
Matt Crampton, Jamie Staff and Jason Kenny

I am curious about the 500m. Pendleton was saying in the Guardian article linked above that her form is not as hot as previous years, and Simona Krupeckaite was electric during the World Cup.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Looking at Eurosport right now and although the schedule in the paper says coverage from 15.30, it is not on until 18.30 in the evening. Figure skating is on at the moment.

Skip Madness

Yep, the usual total confusion from Eurosport.

Anyway, the qualifying for the women's individual pursuit has taken place. I will spoiler the results below:

XXXXXXXXXX SPOILER SPOILER XXXXXXXXXX

1. Wendy Houvenaghel (GBR) 3:29.491
2. Alison Shanks (NZL) 3:31.063
3. Vilija Sereikaite (LTU) 3:33.935
4. Jo Rowsell (GBR) 3:35.028

XXXXXXXXXX END OF SPOILER XXXXXXXXXX

Te Bheag

Theres also the PC video player (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/25032009/58/houvenaghel-sets-gold-clash.html)

Watch the World Track Championship live on your PC via the Eurosport Player - click on the link under the picture to subscribe. Or watch the action on British Eurosport - available in the UK on Sky channel 410 and Virgin Media channel 521.
TIMES:
Wed 25 March
1945-2155 LIVE coverage + studio analysis
Thu 26 March
1800-2040 LIVE coverage + studio analysis
Fri 27 March
1700-2040 LIVE coverage + studio analysis
Sat 28 March
1600-2040 LIVE coverage + studio analysis
Sun 29 March
1245-1630 LIVE coverage + studio analysis
Sporting Life / Eurosport

Skip Madness

Do we have to spoiler our posts here, or do we presume this to be a thread full of spoilers which people who are not up-to-date with the results should avoid? In case of the former - skip this post!

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Well I watched on Eurosport, and I do not know who this bloke presenting it is (didn't he present something last year?) but he clearly knows incredibly little - he even admitted as much at the end. Why not get someone who understand the sport to do it?

All of this nonsense about "disappointing performances" and "medals the wrong colour" is daft. Only Houvenaghel's performance was a disappointment for me - I do not know if she was knackered or got psyched out but she had a great chance at gold today, which may not come again.

The other three performances were fine - Pendleton and the men's sprint team delivered more or less all you could reasonably have expected, and although Chris Newton looked annoyed about bronze the fact is that endurance events are much less predictable than sprint events and you cannot expect much more than a medal performance.

Was anyone else aghast at the attendance? It seemed half full. Hopefully it will pick up over the next few days.

Te Bheag

Skip - it's Hugh Porter, well known for his poor commentary skills I'm afraid.

He 'should' know his stuff, he was 4 times World pursuit champion...

Skip Madness

Te Bheag said:
Skip - it's Hugh Porter, well known for his poor commentary skills I'm afraid.

He 'should' know his stuff, he was 4 times World pursuit champion...
No, I was watching Eurosport though. I avoid the BBC partially because of Hugh Porter's commentary. I only flick over if for whatever reason if I actually have to.

It was the guy in the studio that annoyed me, not the commentators (although David Harmon getting excited at Chris Newton's last-minute attack was a silly mistake).

Te Bheag

Oops, sorry... I remember some comments being made about Hugh's commentary at Beijing. His eyes aren't what they used to be, bless... Though the man is a legend (and a local).

Dave5N

Über Member
Leave Hugh alone. He does a pretty good job, I have found. Hs commentary at the 'cross Nationals has been superb, and he certainly did a better job at the National Madison than the judges.

OK day for GB. Clearly their standards are now so high they were disappointed, but as Jamie said, they'll still walk out with 5 gold medals.

Skip Madness

The Brits for tomorrow's events are thus:

Men's Scratch Race:
Mark Cavendish

Women's Team Sprint:
Victoria Pendleton and Shanaze Reade

Men's Individual Pursuit:
None

Women's Team Pursuit:
Lizzie Armitstead, Wendy Houvenaghel and Jo Rowsell

Men's Keirin:
Jason Kenny, Matt Crampton and Ross Edgar

Don't forget that Taylor Phinney will be going in the individual pursuit - that guy has been lightning recently and as the track seems fast we could see an amazing time.

Top Bottom