Would you live in Canberra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got the chance of going to live in Canberra for a couple of years. It's to do my husband's work, a 2-3 year secondment.

I'm wondering if anyone here would take the opportunity? I know nothing about the place, other than it is the capital city of Australia. There are lots of questions to be asked and it may all come to nothing, but it would give me chance to 'heal' which is what my body needs now (no more ops or appointments, just time) and we have few if any commitments or reasons for not going other than a need to be back in the UK for my sister's wedding next august, but that if something we could built into the t&c's. We have no kids and currently rent. The only relative that would have stopped us leaving, (as in we would not have gone because of him) has just died in the past 2 months and my parents are set to become snow birds all year round!

So I'm wondering, if you had the option would you go? I'm not a city person, but Canberra looks to be a different type of city and I'm wondering if the change would do me the world of good? The alternative is to buy a house and settle down, something that is scarring the living daylights out of me!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I went there once full of office blocks, but that was 35 years ago

I don't like Canberra, but I do like cities - so it may suit you. I turned down the opportunity to live there in the 80s, but that was when I was working for the Government, and the move would have trapped me there for life.

It's an artificial city, designed by architects, as you can see from a map. But it's getting towards a hundred years old, so starting to settle into it's skin. You'll rely on a car more than you have to in the UK, but that being said it's easy to get around once you are outside the city (I don't know what traffic is like in Canberra these days). Sydney or the coast is pretty accessible once you are in a car.

It punches above it's weight, culturally, with national museums and galleries that serve the whole country. It's a reasonably pretty city, but I used to find navigation hard (but that was before GPS and I came from a city that was built on a grid pattern).

Beware, it gets cold in Canberra - well below freezing - and the summers are hot.

Only one way to find out if it's for you, I'm afraid.

AndyRM

XOXO
Are you able to get over for an extended visit before you commit? Say 2-3 weeks?

That's what my folks did before moving us to America for a 6 year stint.

You don't get a full understanding of the city, but a better one than if you're just there for a couple of days.

Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged).jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 1.jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 2.jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 3.jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 4.jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 5.jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 6.jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 7.jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 8.jpg
Come_and_join_us_in_Canberra (dragged) 9.jpg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I haven't been there for 30+ years, but my lasting memory was that the city centre was planned rather than an urban sprawl.
I would echo what others have said, go for it, it is a great opportunity, it isn't forever and with the advances in technology in recent years staying in touch is not as hard.

SeanM

Main question - what's the :bicycle: like?

I was there a couple of years ago for a beginners triathlon, afterwards me and my two mates cycled through the centre of canberrra, with a lane each. It's dead at the weekends, all gov't and big business employees high tail it to Sydney, or the snow.

It's bloody freezing during the winter, but no worse than the UK.

I'd go at the drop of a hat. in fact, adopt me and take me with you.

Top Bottom