Would you live in Canberra?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
^^^
This but with better coffee and more museums.

And :sun:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I was there in the early 90s for a week or two and remember it being a nice enough place if slightly dull as I guess many planned cities are. The country around the city I remember as being great though and I went on a few long walks seeing plenty of wildlife. The Snowy Mountains are on your doorstep and Sydney's not far away, so on balance I'd go for it, even if by all accounts the Australians hate cyclists as much as the Brits do!

I was there in the early 90s for a week or two and remember it being a nice enough place if slightly dull as I guess many planned cities are. The country around the city I remember as being great though and I went on a few long walks seeing plenty of wildlife. The Snowy Mountains are on your doorstep and Sydney's not far away, so on balance I'd go for it, even if by all accounts the Australians hate cyclists as much as the Brits do!

I was also in Canberra a few times in 1990 and thought it was a quiet, friendly but soulless city. If I was in your position, I'd go for it.

Canberra was the dullest place I visited when I lived in Australia in the early 90s; in fact it is the dullest placed I have ever been.

I managed to stay for 3 days; it was 2 days too long - the first day was ok as I got really píssed and could have been anywhere in the world and not noticed.

alicat

Legendary Member
Like Glowworm and Dayvo, I was there a couple of times in the mid 1990s and echo their opinion. It's a series of pleasant if sprawling suburbs with their own shopping centres. Great if you don't like cities but don't mind the suburbs and getting around mostly by car.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@SatNavSaysStraightOn I think you should take this opportunity for a wee adventure. It would do your morale good to have a change of scenery, and your body could benefit too by a few months heat.
You come across as somebody that sees opportunity even when all looks bleak, a couple of years is not long at all, just enough to find out if you really like or hate a place - imo.
You should still buy property here as planned, while the prices are relatively low, give it to an agent to rent out, a place for you and hubby to return to.
Does this mean you'll be the night mod? God help you with @classic33 and @Mad Doug Biker, they never sleep :laugh:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Looking at this, I can imagine worse places to spend a couple of years.

large.jpg

Top Bottom